Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM  

New Paltz, New York
NY Winter-Who's ready?

So are you ready, prepared, can't wait?

As for myself I can answer NO. I really still enjoy the snow and for the most part I don't mind even clearing the stuff. The thing that I don't like is the fact it gets dark before I get home from work, so the fall projects get pushed into the weekend leaving little time for projects like my Jeeps

Then again it seems there's never time for hobby stuff.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:16 PM  

Rochester, New York
I've got three face cords of wood, the generator is in perfect order and I've got 40 gallons of gas. Candles, matches, lighters, flashlights all have fresh batteries, battery-operated radios are in good shape. Plenty of food and water and warm clothing. But I was in the same shape in summer....

We traded in a VW Jetta for a Honda Element 4WD a couple months ago, so now both my wife and I should be in better shape getting around when the snow hits.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I've got three face cords of wood, the generator is in perfect order and I've got 40 gallons of gas. Candles, matches, lighters, flashlights all have fresh batteries, battery-operated radios are in good shape. Plenty of food and water and warm clothing. But I was in the same shape in summer....

We traded in a VW Jetta for a Honda Element 4WD a couple months ago, so now both my wife and I should be in better shape getting around when the snow hits.
Nice Brian. Yes I have all that stuff ready and always do. Be Prepared as the Boy Scout motto states. No for me it's the other things that always get me. Be it the patio chairs and table, the last lawn cut for the year, kids toys, cleaning the dead stuff from the garden, etc. Most of these chores will be done by myself in the dark cold nights before the first snow flies. Oh well, such is life sometimes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Good call on the thread bigjoe, hopefully this will serve as my reminder list and a wake up for some others..

So lets see,, I just moved in a few months ago, first winter on the lake and farthest North I have ever lived..

Allow me to ramble..

Took the pump off of my pressure washer and stashed it in the laundry room this weekend so it doesn't freeze and blow up. The sailboat is winterized and tarped. Still need to do something with my kayak, maybe lay it in the cockpit of the boat.. Lawn furniture and hammock have been stashed and the leaves are as done as they are gonna get.

Stacked 1.5 face cords, have to order at least 4 more. Still have to inspect/clean the stove and chimney. would like to get a programmable thermostat installed before the cold sets in. Generator has been hard wired, oil changed and test run. I do need to shop for batteries for lights and radio, fuel oil for lanterns etc.. also need to change batteries in the Co and smoke detectors. Need to fill my extra propane tanks for the grill, barring an extended emergency they should last till spring.

Food stock isn't up to our normal levels yet, wife moves up for good Thanksgiving weekend so she'll pick up the slack on that front.

Need an ice chopper and at least one more snow shovel for the house. I still have more than a 5 gallon bucket of snow melt from last winter so that should last a little while at least.

The CJ has been winterized, at least as much as one can winterize a CJ Hopefully it's good to go, still fiddling with it when ever the weather permits. My 3/4 car garage isn't big enough to work on anything but a Mini Cooper so I might end up with a cheap garage tent thing from H.F I'll wait a few more weeks before the snow tires go on the wifes 330xi, need to do an oil change and check the coolant mix though. Need new snow/ice scrapers for both vehicles as well as a folding shovel in each. Need to change out the G.H.B's in both vehicles, sleeping bag, emergency survival blankets, spare hat, socks, gloves etc..

Need some winter toys. Sleds, snow shoes, season passes for Bristol Mountain and a jacuzzi..

What am I forgetting besides grammar and punctuation?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
Good call on the thread bigjoe, hopefully this will serve as my reminder list and a wake up for some others..

So lets see,, I just moved in a few months ago, first winter on the lake and farthest North I have ever lived..

Allow me to ramble..

Took the pump off of my pressure washer and stashed it in the laundry room this weekend so it doesn't freeze and blow up. The sailboat is winterized and tarped. Still need to do something with my kayak, maybe lay it in the cockpit of the boat.. Lawn furniture and hammock have been stashed and the leaves are as done as they are gonna get.

Stacked 1.5 face cords, have to order at least 4 more. Still have to inspect/clean the stove and chimney. would like to get a programmable thermostat installed before the cold sets in. Generator has been hard wired, oil changed and test run. I do need to shop for batteries for lights and radio, fuel oil for lanterns etc.. also need to change batteries in the Co and smoke detectors. Need to fill my extra propane tanks for the grill, barring an extended emergency they should last till spring.

Food stock isn't up to our normal levels yet, wife moves up for good Thanksgiving weekend so she'll pick up the slack on that front.

Need an ice chopper and at least one more snow shovel for the house. I still have more than a 5 gallon bucket of snow melt from last winter so that should last a little while at least.

The CJ has been winterized, at least as much as one can winterize a CJ Hopefully it's good to go, still fiddling with it when ever the weather permits. My 3/4 car garage isn't big enough to work on anything but a Mini Cooper so I might end up with a cheap garage tent thing from H.F I'll wait a few more weeks before the snow tires go on the wifes 330xi, need to do an oil change and check the coolant mix though. Need new snow/ice scrapers for both vehicles as well as a folding shovel in each. Need to change out the G.H.B's in both vehicles, sleeping bag, emergency survival blankets, spare hat, socks, gloves etc..

Need some winter toys. Sleds, snow shoes, season passes for Bristol Mountain and a jacuzzi..

What am I forgetting besides grammar and punctuation?
That's a fair list ya got there, and IIRC your in the "snow-belt" you'd better get on that list!

I've got my "budget build CJ7 under wraps in the yard, though I'd love to do more work before the weather gets real bad, I know better and it's parked where it will spend the winter, I'm sure. My other CJ7 has a garage spot and has for the last 15yrs. or so and it does not see bad weather. Hell last winter I had it out only 5 or 6 times and of those times at less four was to just run the engine in the driveway. This winter thought the front end will be rebuilt so it most like will spend a good deal of time on jack stands.

For winter driving duty my 83' short bed Chevy does the workload. It does stink that it's outside and makes for a ton of fun trying to get out for fire calls in the middle of the night when the front window has ice on the inside and the outside. Been covering the window with some old tent canvas to help. I've been thinking about getting HB temp. garage to park it in but always worry about the snow load on it.

As for firewood I have 4 full cords in the woodshed and just ordered another that I'll stack on pallets and tarp. And have another cord or so at a friends house to fetch. I'll use the stuff on pallets first until the snow flies then use what's in the shed. No more days of trying to untarp a snow coverd wood pile. Forget that man! More then likely I'll end up burning close to 4 full cords by winters end. FYI when the seasons ends, clean your stove and pipes then, one less thing for the fall to do. Good luck with the list.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 AM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
I'm actually just out of the snow belt, we're lakeside. The local consensus is that most of the big lake effect snow will pass over us and dump down around I-90. But I think as in any winter it's hit or miss, we could get hammered a few times or get next to nothing.

How much are you guys paying for face cords? I paid $82 delivered for the one I've got. The .5 is from tree's I cut down on the bluff here. I never heard of them till moving here, back in Indy they are called "ricks" back in CT when I was a kid we bought regular old cords of wood.. Why the hell does everyone have to be different?

No wood shed for me yet, hopefully get the time to build one next summer.

\
Old 11-17-2010, 07:01 PM  

New Paltz, New York
Face cord IIRC is 2'wx8'lx4'h as opposed to a full cord being 4'wx8'x4'h. Full cord is running about $200. I try to cut most of my firewood and not have to pay for it. And as ya know there's nothing "free" about free cut firewood. Guy in the fire company with me has a side job doing firewood and I get the "friend" rate, paying for 2 cords and getting about 2 1/2cords when all said and done.

Have realized in the last couple years though that what little free time I have is worth a lot to me. So I end up buying a few cords, and off set the rest of what I may burn with what I have rounded up before the winter. Most years I end up with about 1/2 a face cord in the wood shed.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:05 PM  

I cant wait for it to snow!! Bring it on Mother Nature bring it on!! LOL Is anyone ever "ready" when that first storm hits? My guess is no
Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 AM  

Buffalo, New York
I just got a new 2010 silverado and I've been waiting all year to try it in the snow. I hate cold weather, but this year I'm looking forward to it. I'm in buffalo and I'm pretty sure you guys in rochester get more snow than us. you are right on the snow belt. how much do you guys average per year?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM  

Macedon, Ny, NY
Just mounted the snow plow on my tractor today, cant wait!!

Jeff (teet)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads