Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by klug View Post
How many businesses have we lost because we can't give up the power we give to NYC? lol It definitely has gone too far.
I don't know, you tell me. And have facts.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:40 PM  

Batavia, NY
I can't agree more!!!! Votes and tax money and whatever else they take from us!!!! Time to put a stop to it!!!!

Why can't we boycot them? Esp. after this past election I just want to cut that part of NY off and send 'em floating....

Old 11-23-2010, 05:34 PM  

Michigan
Forget the fence at our southern border - we need one between NYC and
"upstate" NY.

The term "upstate" NY irritates the heck out of me.
Only people from NYC and out of staters should use it.
NYC is a tiny little tip of land but the whole, huge, rest of the
state gets rolled into "upstate".
Old 11-24-2010, 06:55 AM  

Batavia, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff View Post
Forget the fence at our southern border - we need one between NYC and
"upstate" NY.

The term "upstate" NY irritates the heck out of me.
Only people from NYC and out of staters should use it.
NYC is a tiny little tip of land but the whole, huge, rest of the
state gets rolled into "upstate".
Maybe so but I have to use it cuz whenever I say I'm from NY the next damn irritating question is Long Island? Bronx? etc. etc. etc.

Actually I tell people I'm from Western Upstate NY. Cuz other wise when I used to say Upstate then they though Albany... Damn irritating.. Now I just say Niagara Falls. close enough and everyone seems to know where that is! lol
Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM  

New York, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
CONGRATULATIONS! Now you understand the necessity of the Electoral College. Imagine if national elections were determined by a dozen or so major urban centers and everyone else got screwed!

NYC sucks an enormous amount of New Yorkers' tax dollars to fund various projects. There's no way they would allow the rest of New York State off the hook to pay their bills.
That is exactly backwards. New York City sends over $10 billion a year more to Albany than it gets back and has debated secession on more than one occasion. It's Upstate that would never let the city go because if it did within a decade the whole place would be deserted as people moved out to avoid the crushing poverty and complete lack of government services that would follow the loss of the city's billions.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:53 AM  

Batavia, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrew View Post
That is exactly backwards. New York City sends over $10 billion a year more to Albany than it gets back and has debated secession on more than one occasion. It's Upstate that would never let the city go because if it did within a decade the whole place would be deserted as people moved out to avoid the crushing poverty and complete lack of government services that would follow the loss of the city's billions.
Lack of Gov't services... Hmmm like the dead beats on Medicaid? Oh what a damn shame.... I deal with those people everyday. I bust my ass everyday to make ends meet while they sit home fully capable of working and have better vehicles (notice plural) and better household items than I do! And I helped pay for that crap!

We in the ambulance service call it the Pataki Gold card....

Cut the services! Maybe then people will realize that they have to work for what they have / want! Yes before the flaming begins... Not everyone is a dead beat on Medicaid. I know that but a good majority are! Just travel down Main St. in Buffalo or Rochester. I could go on but I'll stop here now....
Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 AM  

Michigan
When I tell a person I'm from NY they automatically assume NYC.
If I bother to get spacific and tell them Western NY they don't
know where that is (cause all they hear is NYC or upstate.)
Then I tell them Buffalo, Niagara Falls and they say,
"You get a lot of snow there."
Old 11-27-2010, 10:13 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanathpc
I bust my ass everyday to make ends meet while they sit home fully capable of working and have better vehicles (notice plural) and better household items than I do! And I helped pay for that crap!
What a crock.

Without being criminals, that's impossible. I have a whole family of people who work in social services and the court systems. No way anyone is affording a nice vehicle on $300 a week welfare, without being drug dealers or something. I agree that any system that allows someone to subsist and be fully capable of work is broken, but the myth that these people are somehow living the high life distorts the real situation.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:15 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrew View Post
I agree sort of.

NYC does not decide where their tax dollars go, Albany does. While I'm not sure there would be "crushing poverty", they do contribute 60% of the tax base.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:44 PM  

Batavia, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
What a crock.

Without being criminals, that's impossible. I have a whole family of people who work in social services and the court systems. No way anyone is affording a nice vehicle on $300 a week welfare, without being drug dealers or something. I agree that any system that allows someone to subsist and be fully capable of work is broken, but the myth that these people are somehow living the high life distorts the real situation.
I see it every day.... Come ride with me for a shift.... Ride with a Metro crew in either Buffalo or Rochester and see these houses. And they gladly flash their Medicaid cards for the trip the hospital. Nice large screen TV's, leather furniture. Caddy in the driveway. It's not a crock....

Then you have the opposite side of the spectrum. Those are the ones who are trying to do right and get jobs to make ends meet.

Doesn't matter if you have family in those areas. The system is broken. Plain and simple.

Again do YOU see this on a daily basis? Or you just going by the people who are running the system? Cuz those people are going to tell you the system is great and is working. We see the system as a failure. We see the failure. Again go to a big city and ride a shift with EMS. You'll see the full spectrum and come back here and aplogize for tell me its a crock.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > New York
Bookmark this Page!