Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2010, 10:52 AM  

Asheville, N. C.
Moving to NC

I have been a NC native for over 25 years and the climate in Asheville is wonderful. The temperature changes dramatically across the state. Wilmington is hot and humid, but I think it is a great place around Christmas and New Years. Raleigh is hot but has a lot of places that younger people really like to go. I really depends on what you are looking for.

Good Luck,

Dave

Old 11-11-2010, 09:17 AM  

lewisville, n.c.
I second the opinion for Raleigh/Durham area for consistent job prospects. I wouldnt worry about moving cost. You will make that up in cost of living diference in about a yr.
Good Luck

Old 11-21-2010, 07:13 PM  

Overland Park, KS
I'm in sales/training, if anyone happens to have any connections. We would consider SC too, but really want to end up in Asheville if possible. If anyone knows some companies that are hiring, or even a good headhunter, i'd appreciate the lead. No offense to KS, but this just isn't our type of place. Prefer to get things moving toward NC sooner than later.

Thanks for all the input so far. Keep it coming.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 PM  

Greensboro, NC
Check out the triad as well. Jobs in Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem are picking up if you have the right skills.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM  

Asheville, NC
I just moved to Asheville, NC from San Diego, CA. The move itself was not terrible, though I am in my mid-20's and did not have too many roots beyond my family in the West. I sold the majority of my things, shipped/flew with the rest, and then had my truck shipped.

In terms of jobs, I have done a bit of hunting and I must say there is not a ton of industry in these parts. Unless you have a connection, I recommend hooking up with a headhunter. I got one job offer, but I have been telecommuting for my old job on a month-to-month basis, and happened to get extended around the same time. The job was not what I wanted anyway, and at half the pay.

That said, the cost of living change has been awesome. Rent/housing prices are about half what I am used to, and because I am still getting a San Diego-sized paycheck, I have been able to sock away a hefty amount for when the job hunt gets real.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 AM  

Wilkesboro, North Carolina
It would help to know what type of work u do. That way we could probably steer u in the right direction. I agree that Asheville seems to be weathering the "storm" somewhat better than other cities in the State.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 AM  
Avast me hearties!

Spartanburg, SC
He takes care on Vinni's dirty work,you know what I'm sayin?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:29 AM  

Asheville, N. C.
Jobs in Asheville

There are some manufacturing jobs in Asheville. Fridays handles them for Continental Tevis. We have a new German plant starting up here in the first quarter of '11. About the only headhunter left here is Moffitt International. I am not sure what types of industries they have to fill. But I do know ther just hired 1 and are interviewing another to work for them as headhunters.
They are at 3182 Sweeten Creek Rd. Do you want their phone number ??

Good Luck,

Dave
Old 11-25-2010, 05:25 PM  

Concord, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimman View Post
Looking to move from RI to NC probably this Spring. Want warmer weather more of the year and the cost of living is somewhat less. Can't wait!!
There's been a flood people moving to the Carolinas in the past ten years. Don't let them fool you. There used to be a lower cost of living and plenty of jobs. Housing prices have been inflated and the wage increases are almost frozen and going down with all jobs being competitively sought after. This is what I have noticed lately: When someone moves here from a large northern city. First they notice that mass transit system is a century behind our northern neighbors. Second, if you have children you will notice our school system is lagging and your children may get to coast a year or two. While our tax rates are lower right now and we don't have any toll roads with the northern invasion both are seriously being considered to change our southern way of life. We have seen lots changes in the past 10 years, most not for the better. The weather is still Hot!!! in the summer and mild in the winter, but the southern way of life is disappearing.

Do your homework before you move, have a job, and leave them Yankee ideas and ways behind you, or in a few years all you will have is good weather.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 PM  
Avast me hearties!

Spartanburg, SC

but didn't want to say it for fear of offending anyone.Our property prices jumped nearly 300% when everyone from up north rushed down here to work for BMW and their suppliers.We also lost our off road areas.The rural area around me became a suburban area in less than 3 years.My taxes quadrupled and we have had restrictions imposed on us.I used to be able to work on my cars without worry.Now I get code enforcement knocking on my door every time I leave one of my projects setting out from under the carport.Everyone saw an opportunity to buy land down here for $1000 an acre,turn it into a housing development and get rich.Now there are no farms.My family owns one of the last fruit and veggie farms left.Because of the rich northern influx,you can't find a house lot (1/4 acre) to build on for less than $20,000 without utilities.There were a lot of millionaires made down here.Most took that money,and business,and went back north.

It is fact that the schools and colleges up north are far better than down south.So anyone that has attended a university up north will beat out anyone with a local education.I have been a victim of this.I was laid off 5 years ago from a global company.Out of 365 employees,7 of us were locals.Everyone else was from new England area and held the same degrees as the rest of us.There are no Unions down here for everyone to run to.In the past 5 years I have been unable to find work.All the locals are the ones in line at the employment services.I had a chat about these same issues with a nice gentleman from Philly.In which he agreed about the employment deal.He proudly boasted about how superior the education is in new England area schools and colleges and that's why northerners are hired over southerners.I guess we need to move to china and work for $1 a week because we aren't worthy to live where we were raised.

I just haven't learned to accept things for how they are,because they have driven me into poverty.That WILL change next year,even if it kills me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Bookmark this Page!