Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2010, 11:14 AM  

Atlantic City, New Jersey
Oak Island, NC

Has anyone ever been here? I went here a few years ago for a wedding and thought the place was absolutely amazing. The first night I got there in August it was very quiet and not packed like other beach towns. There was also go-karts or something along the lines of that where you can rent them and drive them on the street.

This is a shot I got from the house we were staying in. It had a bay/marsh on one side and an ocean on the other.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 PM  

Kinston, North Carolina
I have been there before, but i was really little and i don't remember much from the visit. I should go back and check it out!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:19 PM  

Portsmouth, VA
Went there for a vacation last summer. My favorite spot was called Beverage Barn. It looked like a red barn from the outside and had almost every beer you could ever want. The staff was incredibly knowledgeable and the selection was incredible.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM  
You Dirty Rat!

Wilmington, NC
I'll be down there on business tomorrow, I am going to look for it.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:44 PM  

Greenville, SC
Lots of good memories of OKI....I remember when there used to be a water park. Anyone else remember that????
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM  

lewisville, n.c.
Spent alot of time there when i was little 30+ years ago. My aunt and uncle had a place there Long Beach all the roads were sand except the main road. Sometimes a mile or more between houses Boy has it changed since then.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
Oak Island

I have family on Oak Island; a fun place to visit. Can do some fishing
"We have never seen anything like this.? Mark 2:12
Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 PM  

Greensboro, NC
We love Oak Island!

much safer than Myrtle Beach, SC for family.

You can walk down to the beach with the kids and a cooler of beer and relax because there are not 5,000 other people on the beach with you.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:49 PM  

Cary, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigX View Post
Has anyone ever been here? I went here a few years ago for a wedding and thought the place was absolutely amazing. The first night I got there in August it was very quiet and not packed like other beach towns. There was also go-karts or something along the lines of that where you can rent them and drive them on the street.

This is a shot I got from the house we were staying in. It had a bay/marsh on one side and an ocean on the other.

I own a house in North Myrtle Beach, SC and also one in Cary, NC. I frequently travel up and down the coast and have visited Oak Island on several occasions. The picture you posted is typical of residences in the small beach towns in NC and SC. Another beach resort, Sunset Beach, is one of my favorites. A city ordinance dictates a large backset from the ocean high water mark. This backset is filled with sand dunes and sea oat growth that prevent (or at least minimize) water damage to homes during hurricanes. Although there have been many hurricanes along the NC and SC coast, Sunset has never suffered serious damage. Unfortunately this has been discovered and real estate prices have risen dramatically in the last 15 years.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > North Carolina
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads