Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM  

MANASSAS, VA
Any NoVA Meat Smokers?

I bought a Brinkmann Vertical Smoker for Christmas and have just started making BBQ at home. Anyone else around here into Smoking meat? I have smoked a few chickens, a pig shoulder, and a flat brisket. The chickens were with mesquite and the pork and beef with hickory.

What are you're favorite meat/wood combinations?
I also found that southern states has a decent selection of wood apple, cherry, pecan, hickory, and mesquite. Any other local sources for wood?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:21 PM  

Herndon, VA
i get my wood from amazon.com and use mostly cherry, apple, and only small amounts of mesquite and hickory - i find they are too strong if overused.

I mostly do pork ribs and shoulder for pulled pork but have done a brisket and some chickens. Does the Brinkmann use those wood pucks? I have a hard time finding lump charcoal in the area, i've resorted to just buying direct from my favorite manufacturer - wicked good charcoal - weekend warrior blend. much better than that big green egg crap!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:22 PM  

I'm in the Springfield area...just saw your post. Hit me up on the email and lets talk meat. a.harper @ live.com
Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 AM  
AZ Resident

Surprise, Arizona
I mainly smoke pork and birds. With my birds I tend to use lighter woods like apple and alder.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Bookmark this Page!