Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2011, 04:22 AM  

Haymarket - boy has it changed

Haymarket was once a town of fewer than 300 folks. One square mile with more than 75 used car dealerships... Orndorf's Truck Stop is now a Sheetz. The Bloom grocery store sits right where a pond once was. The pond had a nice thick layer of oil on top as this was the alledged dumping ground from oil changes at the truck stop.

At the intersection of Rt.15 and 55 there used to be just a stop sign with a flashing light on top. Now it's a fairly major intersection, with a real stop light... Where I66 is now, used to be a Christmas tree farm.

Gone is Gossom's Hardware, Haymarket Grocery and the Old Post Office in the little white building that once upon a time was the town's pharmacy.

Gone too is Antioch McRea Elementary School, where many of us attended Kindergarten and First Grade. Soon they will tear down Gainesville Elementary, which many years prior had been the only High School in the area. Presently it's known as Pace West. Soon it will be a whole new building...

Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Growing older and watching the changes of our society can be rather fascinating, and honestly quite disheartening sometimes as well. I still live in a neighborhood that is tucked away and surrounded by a HUGE plot of land that has been held for generations. I shudder to think of what this land will become when it is finally turned over to someone with 'development' ideas.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 PM  

MANASSAS, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishkabibl View Post
Where I66 is now, used to be a Christmas tree farm.
Have you ever noticed that right before the haymarket exit there is a small white sign that reads, "Pine trees"? It seems out of place, I was wondering if that is leftover from the days of the tree farm...
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM  

I miss haymarket... lived there about 5 years ago, i remember they were doing a lot of construction then, i bet it has really changed a lot by now

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Bookmark this Page!