Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM  

Bolton, Lancashire, Great Britain.
Well not exactly a landmark but something of interest maybe.
The Flag of the UK. The one in my avatar.
The U.K. is made up of 3 not 4 countries, they being England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. These are Kingdoms and each are represented of the Grand Flag of the Union. Which is the proper name for the flag of where I live. It is only named a Union Jack when it is flown from the Jackstaff of one of Her Majesty's Ships, (Royal Navy ship).
The 4th country is Wales and is not represented on the Grand Union Flag, as Wales is a Principallity and not a Kingdom. Therefore Wales is NOT a part of the United Kingdom.
Great Britain is made up of 4 countries, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and other small islands around the coast. Great Britain does not have a flag.
Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales have their own Parliament/Congress/Assembly. England does not have it's own Parliment/Congress/Assembley.
The Patron Saint of England is St George. Well St George was not English, he was Italian. A Roman soldier. He is buried in Israel. There are 29 other countries that claim him as their Patron Saint.
By the way you will find the Grand Union Flag on one of the State flags of the USA. That is Hawaii.

Thank You.
Paul G.
Bolton,
England.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Hey fettler

Do you think Brits would post here if there was a section for them?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM  

Chrism is also a member I'm familiar with, and he lives in the U.K. I say it's time!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 AM  

I cannot answer that for sure. However if you do decide to open a section for the the British, do not use UK., as it's title. You must use GB (Great Britain). As I said in my earlier post, the UK does not represent Wales. GB does represent Wales as well as Scotland,and Northern Ireland.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Chrism is also a member I'm familiar with, and he lives in the U.K. I say it's time!
Might turn out interesting if the section ended up being active. There sure as heck are a lot of interesting places over there.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:51 AM  

GB is only a small island and has lots of smaller islands around its coast. We do have many many interesting places over here. Some go back as far as the stone age and even further. However because of "guess work" especially in the Victorian and Edwardian era, a lot of history has been corrupted, misleading and hearsay. Not through intentional means but by ignorance, lack of technology and dare I say religion. Once people have had been told over the years that, "this was this and that was that", it is hard to make them think otherwise even with 100% evidence.

I have down loaded the flags that make up Great Britain.
England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
As you will notice Wales is not represented on the flag of the UK.
Add Attraction/Landmark - Get CityProfile Decal-england..jpg 

Add Attraction/Landmark - Get CityProfile Decal-northern-ireland..jpg 

Add Attraction/Landmark - Get CityProfile Decal-scotland..jpg 

Add Attraction/Landmark - Get CityProfile Decal-wales..jpg 

Old 02-07-2011, 12:42 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
It would be a cooler flag if they added a dragon.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM  

That was suggested by the European Union. As it was stated, "How could the Grand Flag of the Union, that only represents three countries/states within the British Isles, be allowed to fly when Wales was not represented on it?"
I totally agree that the flag is wrong and it is time it was changed by adding the dragon on it. That would not be too hard. It is not rocket science. However you know what the English ruling classes are like. We must be the only nation that does not represent all of its countries/states on its flag.
By the way, I am Australian/Welsh, born in England and have Australian Citizenship. No I am not knocking or having a go, just stating common sense. "Old Glory" represents all 50 states, none are left out.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Now I understand a little more why my Welsh neighbors are such ornery buggers....till I feed them some ales
Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Now I understand a little more why my Welsh neighbors are such ornery buggers....till I feed them some ales
All the Welsh I have met have been nice, granted I've only met 2.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.