Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Ahhhhh, uniform inspections.....

So I'm sitting here at about 11pm making my uniform perfect for tomorrow morning's inspection. Doin service charlies.

Got me thinking! How many of you guys are former military, which branch, and when? Any good ol war stories?

This Marine would love to hear them!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 08-24-2011, 05:16 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Y' Know, back in the Nam...

Okay, Im not THAT old but I did honorably serve my country for a little over 8 years. (USN)

Ive got sea stories for days (and most of them are not necessarily appropriate) But good times and one of the better life decisions I made when I was younger.

My old ship was recently sunk to make an artificial reef off the coast of Delaware/NJ - USS Arthur W. Radford DD-968. I hated that ship at the time, but believe me when a tear was shed to watch it sink.

Aside from the memories I have, an old shipyard worker gave me one of the 'D's (of the DD-968) off of the Captains Gig. That is my cool story for now

Old 08-24-2011, 08:04 AM  

Not having served in the military is one of my biggest regrets in life. Hopefully, having served 25 years in the law enforcement sector made up for it just a bit.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:19 AM  
fustrated genius

I was never in the military, but I got a couple stories for you.

The return from the 1st combat cruise of the USS Kitty Hawk CVA-63 (1965 I think)
We wake up EARLY EARLY and get ready. We are in the car, a carvan of several vehicles, actually and we arrive finally in San Diego. We wait and wait and finally, off in the distance we see this HUGE towering ship coming around the island, under tow from tugs. There is a white stripe around the edge of the massive flight deck and as she gets closer we realize, it's the crew in dress whites. They are standing at "parade rest". I start looking for my brother and I think I see him. Up on the elavater, standing there but it's hard to tell. "yes that's him" and "no it's not" someone else says. Finally the ship is docked and they run the several walkways to the ship. It WAS my bro I saw. He finally comes off and says he needs help carrying things off the ship, (he has "leave" and will be coming hom with us) so I'm jumping up & down, "me, me, ME! I'll help you, ME!" He says follow me and we start up the plank. We get to his "compartment and he hands me his guitar in a case and says "can you remember how to get back?" Yeah I said and he gives quick directions and off I go. Next thing I know, I walk by this area and some guy stops me and says "hey, how'd you get in here?" and he says just keep going that way and points and I got that way and after a few minutes another guy says," are you bringing that in or off the ship?" I said off, and he said this way. There was a ramp to get off but I went on the front one and this one was at the aft of the ship. It had been about an hour that I was in there and several of my bros' buddies were looking for me on the ship. That's ONE of my Viet Nam conflict story, DANG that was a HUUUUUGGGEEE boat!! Standing, you look straight up and couldn't see the top.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm not medically eligible, I tried when I turned 18, they caught a medical issue, I then got all the waivers I needed and in the end the Army Doc said no go.

I tested well and had my MOS lined up. I had to keep putting off MEPs while I was getting all these wavers and testing done then I had to have surgery and it all fell apart.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I'm not medically eligible, I tried when I turned 18, they caught a medical issue, I then got all the waivers I needed and in the end the Army Doc said no go.

I tested well and had my MOS lined up. I had to keep putting off MEPs while I was getting all these wavers and testing done then I had to have surgery and it all fell apart.
You should try again now that they are repealing DADT.

Wait, I dont think they had a clause in there for 'one of those' surgeries
Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
You should try again now that they are repealing DADT.

Wait, I dont think they had a clause in there for 'one of those' surgeries
You got a lol out of me.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Someone got a lol out of Austin - give that man some kudo's!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 08-28-2011, 01:11 PM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
So I'm sitting here at about 11pm making my uniform perfect for tomorrow morning's inspection. Doin service charlies.

Got me thinking! How many of you guys are former military, which branch, and when? Any good ol war stories?

This Marine would love to hear them!
Hm … Jake … I was 2 years (27 Sept 1974 – 13 Oct 1976) in the BG communistic army … each our day (including Sunday) has began with uniform inspection … it really had to be perfect ... but ... it still helps me to keep my bike absolutely clean ...
Ahhhhh, uniform inspections.....-picture-517.jpg 

https://bgbybike.tripod.com
Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 PM  

Houston, Texas
20 years US Army 10/71-10/91. Retired as a disabled veteran after I returned from Desert Shield/Storm.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads