Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2010, 10:22 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
ya no kidding lol

Old 09-22-2010, 11:35 PM  
Supporting Member

Yakima, Washington
I just finished reading "One second after" if you have not read it, it is worth it, pick it up. Describes a post-EMP America, and is a real eye opener. We have always kept at least 1 months food, but are starting to gather food stores now and stock up on ammo and other necessities.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:26 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by silbotta View Post
i store dead hookers in my basement
Hah WHAT?! How did that post not get more reaction?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade42470 View Post
I have a generator that will run my whole house, still that I can purify water in, about 1,200 bottles of wine and 3 kegs of beer on tap. Maybe I should also put some food down there though! Hehehehe
Can I have your address...you know... so I can admire your house, or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I just finished reading "One second after" if you have not read it, it is worth it, pick it up. Describes a post-EMP America, and is a real eye opener. We have always kept at least 1 months food, but are starting to gather food stores now and stock up on ammo and other necessities.
Who wrote that?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
anyone gather MRE's?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I have a bunch in my garage. They're left over from training exercises, so I don't know if you call that collecting, but they're there. I'm so sick of them

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 AM  
Supporting Member

Yakima, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post

Who wrote that?
WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN. It is an excellent book. A little slow to get started, but I read it in one day. I stayed up till 4am, only a bit later then normal, but I did not want to put it down. It is a fictional account of a real possibility. It is an eye opener. I have started to make a few preparations, but more will come soon.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 AM  
Supporting Member

Yakima, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
anyone gather MRE's?
I have 3 cases in the garage, they are all the kind without heaters. I also have a case of the chocolate chip cookies and a case of pouched water. My wife got it all from a friend for 25 dollars. I forgot about those, I guess I have more than a months worth of food.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Hah WHAT?! How did that post not get more reaction?!
Doesn't everybody do this? What's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
anyone gather MRE's?
Nope. Tried a few, hated 'em all. I don't store what I don't like to eat.

I've got several multi-gallon containers with sugar, salt, rice, flour, wheat, as well as boxed and canned (commercial and home-made) foods. The fridge is nearly always full, as is the freezer in the basement. I try to keep a minimum of six months of food and water on hand for me and my family at all times.

Water purification is a big issue people really should consider. Tablets work in a pinch (as does plain bleach -- 1 drop/gallon), but it's nicer to have truly clean water. Berkey makes some great filters.

A generator is a must-have, IMO, along with several gallons of gas.

Growing your own food is cheap and easy. Even if nothing ever goes wrong, grow a single 4x8 garden and watch your grocery bills fall! Hunting and fishing are great skills to know, too, to get some protein into your diet.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I also keep a BOB in my Jeep with fire starter kits, water purification tablets, empty containers, and a couple of days worth of food in bars and hard candy. Aside from that I carry a multitool everywhere I go.
Yup, me too.

So...what's in your BOB?

Also, do you have one or more bug-out locations planned?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
BOB is just for the car, fire starers(both lint and matches, kept in a bag), energy bars (Clif), lifesavers(hard candy is awesome), Emergency blankets (the shiny kind), An old quilt, 2 candles, and some rope (about ten foot if I'm not mistaken), I also keep a couple a couple of empty bottles for water collection, and a bottle of portable aqua for purification, and a flash light. I always carry a knife or multitool.

I'm not bugging out, I'm staying in and riding it out. If I had land I would head there, but I think staying close to what I know and being reliant on my craftiness and superior firepower will serve my family and I best. I keep lanterns at the house, and have some camping gear that would work well, provided we were forced to leave, but I'm prepping for cessation of services, not end times prophecy, or zombies (although I keep my finger crossed on the zombies).

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!