Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
As a kid I recall a friend of my mother had a son who suffered from boils. 60 years later I still don't know what a boil is nor do I know of anyone other than the two of you having them. I figure maybe it's something I know by another name?
I have one happening right now, its kinda like a big pimple. I get them every once in a while. Usually after I purchase a new pair of jeans and dont wash them first, I figure its from the starch in the material.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
As a kid I recall a friend of my mother had a son who suffered from boils. 60 years later I still don't know what a boil is nor do I know of anyone other than the two of you having them. I figure maybe it's something I know by another name?
================================================

Try this link for more information....and, I recently had a condition which I
thought was a "boil", but when it kept recurring at a couple different spots
on my body, a DR. took a "culture", sent it to a lab., and the results came
back as "Mercer" (MRSA)

Boils (Skin Abscesses) Information, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention by MedicineNet.com

boils - Google Search

--------------------------------------------------------
I was told that this was going around and one of my 'Classmates from HS' recently "died" from it, so if you have any infections that don't heal, make sure you have a "culture" taken and make sure..

"Mercer" (MRSA)

MRSA Skin Infections Information - Ask.com

Old 07-14-2011, 09:40 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Mersa???? You're fortunate, that devastaes nursing homes & hospitals.

Thanks for the feedback, I even learned what a carbuncle was.

Quote:
There are several different types of boils:

Furuncle or carbuncle: This is an abscess in the skin usually caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. A furuncle can have one or more openings onto the skin and may be associated with a fever or chills. The term furuncle is used to refer to a typical boil that occurs within a hair follicle. The term carbuncle is typically used to represent a larger abscess that involves a group of hair follicles. A carbuncle can form a hardened lump that can be felt in the skin. The condition of having chronic, recurring boils is referred to as furunculosis or carbunculosis.

Cystic acne: This is a type of abscess that is formed when oil ducts become clogged and infected. Cystic acne affects deeper skin tissue than the more superficial inflammation from common acne. Cystic acne is most common on the face and typically occurs in the teenage years.

Hidradenitis suppurativa: This is a condition in which there are multiple abscesses that form under the armpits and often in the groin area. These areas are a result of local inflammation of the sweat glands. This form of skin infection is difficult to treat with antibiotics alone and typically requires a surgical procedure to remove the involved sweat glands in order to stop the skin inflammation.

Pilonidal cyst: This is a unique kind of abscess that occurs in the crease of the buttocks. Pilonidal cysts often begin as tiny areas of infection in the base of the area of skin from which hair grows (the hair follicle). With irritation from direct pressure, over time the inflamed area enlarges to become a firm, painful, and tender nodule that makes it difficult to sit without discomfort. These frequently form after long trips that involve prolonged sitting.

What causes boils to form?

There are many causes of boils. Some boils can be caused by an ingrown hair. Others can form as the result of a splinter or other foreign material that has become lodged in the skin. Others boils, such as those of acne, are caused by plugged sweat glands that become infected.

The skin is an essential part of our immune defense against materials and microbes that are foreign to our body. Any break in the skin, such as a cut or scrape, can develop into an abscess should it become infected with bacteria.
Jeans don't bother me although they should. Never had that or a boil of any type. Doesn't look nice at all.
clorox vs peroxide.....very interesting-boils.jpg 

Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Quote:
Mersa???? You're fortunate, that devastaes nursing homes & hospitals.
I went through three "antibiotics" before they took the culture.....when I showed up at the Docs the third time, they realized they had better find out why they were recurring.......don't know for sure if I have gotten completely "rid" of it yet.........

. Never had that or a boil of any type. Doesn't look nice at all.
===============================================
You can't even begin to imagine what a "boil" really looks like...........

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.