Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 PM  

Easton pa, Pennsylvania
almost happened at my work when one of the girls called the place a "**** hole", i dont post anything i wouldn't want someone to read on facebook

Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 PM  

Charlotte, North Carolina
I vent my frustration about the customers I get on my facebook via the blackberry, but never do I divulge information about the employer or call out any person in particular. I am vague, but if you work there, you can get the message.

My best are the "protip" posts. Stuff like:
If you are a stay at home mom and have a screaming baby, please do not call me with the baby in your arms. You might be stuck with the little noisebox but that doesn't mean I need to deal with the squalling while trying to conduct business.

I have had some of the managers come up and tell me that they found the posts very funny.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanewhatley View Post
If you were in Alabama you would be paying this girl unemployment, unless your SOP specificlly states not going onto facebook while at work or you have a no personal internet policy, you have written proof that you have warned her for previously breaking this rule. The process I have to go through to make sure we are covered is 2 verbal warnings, 1 written warning, suspension, then termination, off course steps can be skipped if violation is extreme enough.
That's dumb. In Texas you can end employment on both side, any time you want to for no reason.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:13 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
speaking of facebok, dont you hate it when someone you see on a daily basis posts on your wall, then approaches you to tell you how awesome the post they put on your wall was?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:21 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
More and more employers are checking facebook and myspace among others out there to check you out.

For posting about customers even though you don't give out names can and will get you fired. I had a close friend get fired and miss out on a good job because he said "I had a dude on the range today that was a total tool bag". He was a firearms instructor at the time and the next day they let him go for that.

If you don't want people to see it don't post it.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
That's dumb. In Texas you can end employment on both side, any time you want to for no reason.
The law differs by state, though no state allows a federally protected class to be fired for discrimination, and anyone can hire a lawyer and file a civil suit. It's then up to the judge or jury to decide whether the firing was justified. Before I fired anyone for a facebook post I'd have good documentation of other problems
to help justify it.

With hiring, most facebook posts are probably not a valid reason to pass on someone, but then the reason given is always the same, another applicant was just a little better qualified.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM  

Birmingham, AL
It's amazing to me that people complain about their jobs on facebook. It's so easy for the employer to see. If you're not happy with your position and you complain about it to everyone on facebook, you can forget any possible promotions.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've read about some employers forcing applicants to allow them to view it in it's full else they won't consider hiring them.
I've got mine completely private. If an employer is so concerned about my private life that they're forcing me to show them my facebook then they're likely someone I don't want to work for anyway.

edit: sorry about the language. spent like 10 minutes finding that in a massive picture folder and forgot about it. feel free to remove it if need be.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
The law differs by state, though no state allows a federally protected class to be fired for discrimination, and anyone can hire a lawyer and file a civil suit. It's then up to the judge or jury to decide whether the firing was justified. Before I fired anyone for a facebook post I'd have good documentation of other problems
to help justify it.

With hiring, most facebook posts are probably not a valid reason to pass on someone, but then the reason given is always the same, another applicant was just a little better qualified.

You just don't give a reason, it's shady, but otherwise you will get sued.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads