Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Military Tactics in regard to the Wallachian Principality ruled by Vlad Tepes

Although remembered by history as a tremendous brute, history is written by the winners and the Ottoman Turks which ruled at the time did their best to undermine the rule of Vlad by over stating his barbarous nature which only led to the continued isolation of an already geographically isolated region.

Thoughts?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:35 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Further more I propose that Vlad was no more violent than the contemporaries of his time and only resorted to scare tactics in response to the overwhelming brutality of the Turks.

Proof of this lies in the Tomas de Torquemada, The Grand Inquisitor, who lived in the same time period of Vlad, but whose connection to the Holy See allowed him, at the time, lack of persecution, both in print and in the courts of Spain.

Print, at least, in any sort of officially sanctioned way.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Rip I started this thread so you would join.

I was wrong, you did send me a copy of Vlad by C.C. Humphreys.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:13 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I knew it!
I've been tearing the house apart and couldn't find that book anywhere.
It's a work of well researched fiction that makes the same proposition you do.
Bram Stoker did a real number to Count Dracula
Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We should discuss the military tactics of that time and region.
It's a bit of a horror show all around.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:59 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
We should discuss the military tactics of that time and region.
It's a bit of a horror show all around.
Agreed, everyone was resorting to torture as a means of conversion, either to a relugous or political ideology.

Stoker's book (which is a testament to the abilities of Freudian post analyses) really only used the name and location while denying most of the historical context.

The region is impenetrable from the outside, the topography is diverse and would be difficult for even a modern army to traverse, let alone the Ottomans on horse back.

His contemporaries were far more brutal than he and he serves as a point of national pride to this day.

Nicolae Ceaușescu invoked his name in order to gain national popularity (which is quite common in Communism, most invoking religious leaders as proof of their noble duty).
Old 12-20-2011, 02:19 PM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
The story of Vlad Tepes is interesting, later I will mention a few words about it. His actions were provoked by the vandal Turkish invasion in the Balkans. About those times a priest was written in the field of religious book "... come a time when the living envied the dead ..."

I will only mention that Romanians have a real reason to be proud because of him.

"Tepes (the Impaler)" is a Slavic word comes from impalement (набивам, нацепвам на кол).
Historians have said he impales 20 000 Janissaries, however, at that time historians have placed zeros after the numbers very easily. I believe 2000 sounds much more confidence.

This link is nice:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler

https://bgbybike.tripod.com
Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think he did his best to protect his people from being over run, which makes him a good guy in my books. He was no more cruel than many other now famous and revered people from that time.

Austin, you should read that book I sent you, and then send it to Borislav when you are done. That would be perfect.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I think he did his best to protect his people from being over run, which makes him a good guy in my books. He was no more cruel than many other now famous and revered people from that time.

Austin, you should read that book I sent you, and then send it to Borislav when you are done. That would be perfect.
I'm finishing one of mine I have to pass to a friend of mine over the holiday then I will. I'm already a few pages into it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads