Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 AM  

el dorado, kansas
My landlord wont fix anything

Ok so we have lived in this duplex for about five months and I've asked my landlord to fix numerous things but he hasnt done any of them. 1. Asked him to fix the toilet leak that is between the bottom of the toilet and the floor, he said he would get a plumber out here. That was about a month ago. 2. Last night we noticed the duct work in our living room was laying on the ground in the crawlspace under the house, I had complained when we first moved in that the vent was not blowing air ( we didn't think the ductwork was laying on the ground) the landlord said he would look into it but never did. 3. Two doorknobs were broken, he said he would stop by and drop a couple off for me to put in myself but never did so I bought a couple and put them in myself. And 4. We had wasps in our garage so I asked him to get rid of them but he just told me to go to the store and pick up some raid and do it myself

So what are my options here?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Personally, I'd just fix that kind of stuff myself and be done with it.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM  

el dorado, kansas
I would if it didn't include water damage, mold and rust
Old 11-25-2011, 02:02 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Landlord I had for a short while about 17 years ago woundn't fix anything either. So I made a deal with him to fix the stuff effed' up, and I mean all of it in and on this house, provide him with the reciepts, and deduct it from the rent. I removed and replaced drywall, patched holes, replaced doors, door knobs, carpet, lineloum, tub, shower pan and tile, plumbing, delaminated and moldy T-11 siding, windows, etc... Ended up putting about $20,000.00 in house in two years and deducted the costs for near free rent. Well it actually cost me my time and material. About the time it was done I bought it from him for $125,000.00. That was 1996. Added 800 sq ft., stuccoed and bricked the exterior shortley after I bought it and Sold it in 2003 for $380,000.00. Had a total of about $195,000.00 in it and lived in it from 1994 to 2003. Ended up for me being a pretty good deal.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 PM  

Each state contain their own "renter's rights" and it would be best to check with the state entity to determine what, if anything, you can repair and deduct off the monthly rent. Most require written notice of needed repairs, but beyond this, I will not speculate on.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:12 PM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Each state contain their own "renter's rights" and it would be best to check with the state entity to determine what, if anything, you can repair and deduct off the monthly rent. Most require written notice of needed repairs, but beyond this, I will not speculate on.
havasu is right.
In some states (Ca, for 1) it is legal for a renter to make a repair and deduct the repair cost from the rent.

Renters must know their rights and resposibilities.
Not knowing your rights is just as good as not having any, and that's how you'll be treated.
It's that simple.
I learned years ago in So,California that once a LL or Management Co, knows that a renter is aware of their rights, that person is treated much differently.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:30 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Correct... I had the landlord, in my case, come over and we went through everything that was 'effed up before I even started. Although it was a newer built house, he knew that it was left in near wrecked shape by the last renters. We had a written up agreement to do the repair work, item by item, in exchange for rent. He also inspected the work for each item completed to see that it was done to his satisfaction and that he wasn't getting screwed. The work I did was done to and exceeded code.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 PM  

MRB, I know many landlords who would love to have you as a renter!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 PM  

el dorado, kansas
I wouldn't mind doing it its just I don't have the tools to do it or the time
Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 AM  

Houston, Texas
Check with the legal aid group in your city. Any city of size has a legal aid society that is staffed by volunteer lawyers and law students. If you can't find one by doing a on-line search call an attorney that deals in property law and ask them for the number. Legal aid societies provide services at no or low cost (usually on a sliding scale) and handle problems exactly like this, landlord- tenant dispute. Make sure you have a copy of your lease, rent receipts and document any conversation you have with your landlord.
I don't know about Kansas but here in Texas a landlord/ tenant dispute is handled in small claims court which means you and the landlord and a magistrate, no lawyers at this level. An attorney can tell you what to do and what to expect but if you feel you are right don't let it go. Doesn't matter if you do or don't have the time/tools. It's the landlords responsibility. Good luck.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!