Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2012, 05:55 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Police lineups

http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_new...ul-convictions

Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM  

I've used "six pack" photo line up's hundreds of times. In California, we were required to admonish the viewer that..."they are about to see a series of six photos. The suspect may or may not be on one of the six photos, and we are just as concerned to eliminate the innocent as we are to prosecute the guilty."

It is not a fool proof system, but it sure allows the police to focus their attention of the one chosen. Fortunately, we now have DNA and other tools to allow the police to get the correct bad guy, and not just from one person's identification.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
My brother is a detective, but out here in the boonies, they never get modern methods. Besides, prosecution here is as much who you are as it is what you did.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 PM  
fustrated genius

In that case, it appeared that the victom suffers from the rape, and then again from the guilt of putting an innocent man behind bars for life, and then yet again has to relive the horror of the trial. pretty disgusting
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM  

Houston, Texas
Eyewitness identification. One of the six most frequent causes of wrongful convictions. In case you don't want to go to the link they are:
Eyewitness Misidentification
Unvalidated or Improper Forensic Science
False Confessions / Admissions
Government Misconduct
Informants or Snitches
Bad Lawyering

If you go to the link and choose a state, say for example, oh I don't know maybe...California, you will find that while the numbers are not large that it does happen. In one case the individual was sentenced to 45 years and served 11.5 of that before exoneration. Unacceptable. Why? Because it could be me...or you, next.

http://www.innocenceproject.org/understand/
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I've used "six pack" photo line up's hundreds of times. In California, we were required to admonish the viewer that..."they are about to see a series of six photos. The suspect may or may not be on one of the six photos, and we are just as concerned to eliminate the innocent as we are to prosecute the guilty."

It is not a fool proof system, but it sure allows the police to focus their attention of the one chosen. Fortunately, we now have DNA and other tools to allow the police to get the correct bad guy, and not just from one person's identification.
I've heard, unconfirmed, that in photo line-ups that photos are used of police officers themselves, in civilian clothes, and mixed in with other photos. I wonder how many police officers were identified as the suspect and then arrested and charged based on eyewitness identification? The answer is probably none. Why would a police officer not be arrested if eyewitness identification is reliable? Is there a different standard between eyewitness identification of a suspect in a photo line up when one is a civilian and the other is a police officer? Hmmm.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 AM  

Actually, when we were building the data base with similar characteristics (color hair, complexion, hair style, color of skin, etc) we were actually used as test Guinea Pigs, and I'm sure we were ID'ed by some. The detectives then need to corroborate our location to rule us out as a suspect. As said before, ID alone by one witness will not convict, unless there are other factors to place them at the scene, evidence located, etc.

At least that is how it is suppose to work. In the back woods of Georgia, they still only read the old testament because the new testament has yet to arrive.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Actually, when we were building the data base with similar characteristics (color hair, complexion, hair style, color of skin, etc) we were actually used as test Guinea Pigs, and I'm sure we were ID'ed by some. The detectives then need to corroborate our location to rule us out as a suspect. As said before, ID alone by one witness will not convict, unless there are other factors to place them at the scene, evidence located, etc.

At least that is how it is suppose to work. In the back woods of Georgia, they still only read the old testament because the new testament has yet to arrive.
This goes back to my question of why police officers are not arrested and charged when incorrectly ID. If the officer has an alibi and the suspect has an alibi why do the detectives accept the alibi for the police officer but not the civilian suspect? Even though eyewitness ID by a single witness will not convict, or at least it's not suppose to, it will get the suspect arrested and indicted. I'm sure I can come up with some case were a single ID has resulted in a conviction. I won't even need LexisNexis or Law360.
I've heard it said that if you give a group of police officers and a group of convicted violent felons a psychological assessment, such as the MMPI. and mixed up the results you can't tell which is which. My conclusion is that the results could still be divided into two groups. A prison population of violent offenders and the New Orleans Police Department. Or the Rampart Division of the LAPD. Or the Camden, N.J. PD. Or the Chicago PD. Or the Tulsa PD. Or the Baltimore PD. Same difference. The results are very similar. The difference is that one group works towards chaos and the other law enforcement. But the individuals within the groups have very similar personality traits. What separates the two? A very, very thin line that sometimes get crossed. By individuals in both groups.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. http://www.constitution.org/abus/cor...tion_cases.htm
Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 PM  

The MMPI is extremely outdated and is not used anymore. It's a good thing, because for the life of me, I couldn't understand why they would want to know if I have black tarry bowel movements!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu
The MMPI is extremely outdated and is not used anymore. It's a good thing, because for the life of me, I couldn't understand why they would want to know if I have black tarry bowel movements!
You are correct on both statements, LOL. I was speaking from a historical perspective. If you noticed on the MMPI many of the questions were repeated several times either word for word or rephrased. This establishes a continuity in answering questions and discrepancy in the way the same question is answered may be considered in the evaluation. As far as the question about black tarry stools, think of a photo line up. Also physical problems can be indicative of psychological issues.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads