Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 AM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I had 6 on the skin between the nose and lip. My face had road rash and I missed school a whole week.
Ow, did that affect what you could eat/drink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Sarah,

I have issues much like yours, except I punch.

When I start going through it I sleep on an air mattress. My Dad and Brother both have the same issue.

Does anyone else in your family talk or move or fight in there sleep?

It really freaks people out.
My dad every now and then tried to fight in his sleep but very seldom from what I heard from my mom. He has suffers from severe anxiety.

At my worst, I woke up screaming, threw myself over Andy to get off the bed ran out of the room. I was conscious of what I was doing once I was on my feet, but I wasn't able to stop myself until I made it out of the room. I am a force to reckoned with when I have night terrors lol. All I can think of is "I need to get away" like I am running. I will shake for awhile and I feel the need to talk to someone asap (I guess to get in touch with reality) The thing that is weriding me is my staring at people or things while I sleep. According to Andy I have stared at him while leaning up on the bed, sitting up when we walks in the room when I am asleep, and at the dogs.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
It was many many years ago when I had tonsils removed. They still used ether to knock you out and nothing about ether is nice. You awake with a horrible hangover because chemically ether is alcohol X 2.

Going under I was in a swirling maelstrom sucking me under. That feeling was replayed in dreams for the next 10 years and I thought I was cursed for life but they finally ended.
Early in my recovery from alcoholism I got the predicted drinking dreams which are pretty upsetting but a relief upon waking.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:12 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdactyl View Post
Ow, did that affect what you could eat/drink?

My dad every now and then tried to fight in his sleep but very seldom from what I heard from my mom. He has suffers from severe anxiety.

At my worst, I woke up screaming, threw myself over Andy to get off the bed ran out of the room. I was conscious of what I was doing once I was on my feet, but I wasn't able to stop myself until I made it out of the room. I am a force to reckoned with when I have night terrors lol. All I can think of is "I need to get away" like I am running. I will shake for awhile and I feel the need to talk to someone asap (I guess to get in touch with reality) The thing that is weriding me is my staring at people or things while I sleep. According to Andy I have stared at him while leaning up on the bed, sitting up when we walks in the room when I am asleep, and at the dogs.
Do you drink or take sleeping pills? It was harder for me to break the cycle when I did either. It also increased my talking and fighting.

My wife knows now to wake me when I'm struggling. I usually wake up, go sit in my chair for a little while, then return to sleep once my mind has cleared.

The staring thing is the most normal thing you've described. It's one thread common in my family, we also talk, I mean all of us, talk a lot. I know I've personally given speeches, my wife has heard them along with professing my love to unknown people, which she is not very understanding of.

My Brother would laugh a lot, I would be across the hall and hear "Hohohoho" and I would go in there, he would be sound asleep sitting up and laughing.

My daughter has never spent the night in the same bed as my wife and I as I am afraid of punching her in my sleep. I understand how severe it can get. If you need to switch rooms for a couple of nights (I would and have) Andy should be understanding.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Only occasional reoccurring dream I've had over the years is that of a catamaran sail boat I actually took a ride on while on vacation in 1981. The wife at the time and I were on Ohau at Waikiki beach where the ride started. We sailed around Diamond Head and then out to sea and back to from where we began the ride. It was about a four trip and the winds were high that day so the boat spent alot of time up on one sponson and alot of ocean spray was drenching us as we sailed. A very powerful yet enjoyable experince. Every time I have this dream it is as if it was yesterday that I was there.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 AM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Do you drink or take sleeping pills? It was harder for me to break the cycle when I did either. It also increased my talking and fighting.

My wife knows now to wake me when I'm struggling. I usually wake up, go sit in my chair for a little while, then return to sleep once my mind has cleared.

The staring thing is the most normal thing you've described. It's one thread common in my family, we also talk, I mean all of us, talk a lot. I know I've personally given speeches, my wife has heard them along with professing my love to unknown people, which she is not very understanding of.

My Brother would laugh a lot, I would be across the hall and hear "Hohohoho" and I would go in there, he would be sound asleep sitting up and laughing.

My daughter has never spent the night in the same bed as my wife and I as I am afraid of punching her in my sleep. I understand how severe it can get. If you need to switch rooms for a couple of nights (I would and have) Andy should be understanding.
I hardly drink and I don't take any sort of sleeping pills. I don't eat right before bed anymore either. Infact, if I have a few beers, it actually helps me rest a bit easier.

Yeah, when I have an attack I usually disconnect myself from the bedroom for awhile and go sit down and possibly talk with Andy about it.

I didn't realize how staring and talking in one's sleep is common. I take some comfort in that at least. I don't believe I have much talked in my sleep, but yours sounds comical lol.

Sleeping alone is a little hard for me, to be honest I have come a little co dependant. I like having someone in the bed with me, but I guess I should do that when they get severe, any kind of movement can trigger it I believe.

I feel better now knowing that I am not the only one.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 AM  
island girl

Chicago, IL
i had somewhat reoccurring dreams at one time - different scenario every time but always about the same object, and the end was always the same.

my dreams were never violent, but the object and what was happening to it were symbolizing what i was fearing at that time... except i didn't realize it for a while.

so, i decided i needed to figure my dreams out. right before falling asleep i would remind myself to ask questions while in the dream. so eventually i started asking the object - what do you want? at first, as soon as i ask the question i'd wake up, but then the answer came... and the reoccurring dreams stopped.

my answer was "nothing, it's too late for you to do anything", and what i feared happened.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I hardly drink and I don't take any sort of sleeping pills.
I'm pretty sure some pills or food can affect dreams but I think they're mostly just our subconscious working nights.

The more distance I put between myself & childhood the less prone to recurring dreams I found myself. All those years of drinking never seemed to change anything. Today I take a mild tranquilizer for sleep but I add 4 Melatonin and 3 benadryl and that does nothing to dreams either.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdactyl View Post
I hardly drink and I don't take any sort of sleeping pills. I don't eat right before bed anymore either. Infact, if I have a few beers, it actually helps me rest a bit easier.

Yeah, when I have an attack I usually disconnect myself from the bedroom for awhile and go sit down and possibly talk with Andy about it.

I didn't realize how staring and talking in one's sleep is common. I take some comfort in that at least. I don't believe I have much talked in my sleep, but yours sounds comical lol.

Sleeping alone is a little hard for me, to be honest I have come a little co dependant. I like having someone in the bed with me, but I guess I should do that when they get severe, any kind of movement can trigger it I believe.

I feel better now knowing that I am not the only one.

It can be comical, it can also be very scary for those who don't know what's going on. Screaming for instance is never well received.

Been there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post

I'm pretty sure some pills or food can affect dreams but I think they're mostly just our subconscious working nights.

The more distance I put between myself & childhood the less prone to recurring dreams I found myself. All those years of drinking never seemed to change anything. Today I take a mild tranquilizer for sleep but I add 4 Melatonin and 3 benadryl and that does nothing to dreams either.
High potassium foods, they help in lucidity and realism. Bananas in particular seem to work well.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:08 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
High potassium foods, they help in lucidity and realism. Bananas in particular seem to work well.
Never knew that and since potassium is a diuretic I avoid it in the evening. I think someday I'll use bananas and my blender to create something to dream by.

About 10 years ago I experienced my first Charlie Horse and keep a few bananas handy to prevent another. It's amazing how powerfully our bodies can remind us of our errors.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:50 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Charlie horses are the worst.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.