Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
School Campuses, Security, and Weapons

I know that schools try their best when it comes to protecting their students from harm. My campus has lately put up blue-light alarm boxes around campus and have security cops roaming about. During the day issues really don't arise. They keep on the wild students (which we have a lot of) under control and keep the people that roam on campus that aren't even students under control. At night however their is less security and less people on campus in general, I know there is a cop or two driving around the campus at all times but they can't be everywhere. I get e-mails on a regular basis about someone get car jacked, robbed, sexual assaulted, ect during the later hours between 6p and 10p so I avoid night classes. The problem is, is that the campus is in the middle of Charlotte, NC, so the cross walks, walk ways are open to anyone at anytime around where the streets are so it's hard sometimes to pick between someone who is a threat or not.

Well, I missed priority registration because I was at work, I figured being a few hours late wouldn't mean anything, but apparently when it comes to Cal/Trig classes they are gone in a flat second. This is the last class I need before transferring to the University I want to go to. Anyways, the only class that was left was 6pm-8:30pm. I am on a waiting list for the day time classes but I don't know if anyone will drop it. Honestly I don't feel that great about taking a night class. People think I am making a big deal about it, but people only think that way until it happens to them.

I looked up their weapons policy, of course it's a violation. Any concealed or open carry weapon is illegal. Honestly, I would feel better if I could carry something. It's quite a walk from the parking deck to the building. I have a K-bar knife in my Jeep and I could get my concealed carry for it but I would have to keep it in my Jeep. It would be kind of pointless considering most attacks happens when you are outside of your vehicle in the parking deck. I know the whole spill about you might anger them more and cause them to act with a weapon and you might end up with a student who pulls it in a rage ect. So I am on the fence. I think my best bet would probably be to become friend with a few in the class and walk with them when class is over because I do think there is power in numbers.

I know that other campuses have this problem, esp. huge universities do because security cannot be everywhere at once.

Anyways, what is your view on students carrying weapons? What do you think the schools should do?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:27 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
My campus is small, but most the time commuters (yeah were the cool ones) we walk out as a group since we all end up parking in the same lots. No matter what there is always someone from the class parked in the lot you are. So you always have that, you aren't really walking alone alone.

Also, I know it says no weapons, but most of the people I know including myself usually have a knife of some kind on us, worst case if you get stopped and caught with it you make up some story about how you forgot it was there. Also they make soo many key chain defense type sprays you can add one of them to your key chain for at night when you are walking.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM  

Well the issue with the key chain mace is that according to the CPCC (where Sarah goes to school) rules, even that is considered a violation.
Personally, I am a big 2nd amendment person. I think that the very existence of the 2nd amendment should be my right to carry concealed or otherwise. If campuses weren't gun free zones, campuses would be very safe. Most people on a college campus are law abiding and proper humans, who if were armed would be their own form of campus security. I seriously doubt people would target college campuses if there were a better than 25% chance that the person you decided to rob or car jack has a .38 snub on their person.

Gun laws only disarm the law abiding. No one who puts it in their head to do mischief is going to be disuaded by the fact that carrying a gun into a gun free zone is illegal. They are already plotting to break the law, so adding another charge isn't a big deal to them.
An armed society is a polite society.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Gun laws only disarm the law abiding. No one who puts it in their head to do mischief is going to be disuaded by the fact that carrying a gun into a gun free zone is illegal. They are already plotting to break the law, so adding another charge isn't a big deal to them.
An armed society is a polite society.
Very well said!

Many schools have a service where campus rent-a-cops or volunteer students will walk you to/from your car/building for no cost. You might want to look into that.

Then again, there's always "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six." Carry your mace. If it becomes an issue, challenge the charge in court on the grounds that 2A was incorporated against the states in McDonald v. Chicago. If you're at a private school...all bets are off. If you're at a state school, your argument has sound legal legs to stand on.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:59 PM  

I personally think every tax paying citizen without a violent felony conviction should be issued a 1911 long slide and 1200 FMJ target rounds a year. That is a federal expenditure I could get behind.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:13 AM  

Concerned

Ma'am; my son is finishing up their; going on to UNCC shortly. I too; agree; You; he; they; should have the means to assist; if an self defense altercation reared.

(My son; is fairly large; fairly strong; with a concealed carry permit. He will not jepordize his license to make a point.} He has shared with me some of his concerns

Many of the young people groups that I participate with; are students at CP
with some at the different U's in NC. My concerns; are many; too; I have friends working at UNCC; they too; are powerless.

I haven't found one proper answer; it is an ongoing discussion. Maybe! with our newly found electorials in NC; something can be done by the voters; for the voters.
"We have never seen anything like this.? Mark 2:12
Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM  

Columbus, OH
Do you know any guys in the class? I have a friend from high school thats a freshman this year, so she got stuck in a lot of late classes. I usually either walk her back from her class, or go pick her up depending on the weather. If you ask nicely you can probably find someone that will do the same for you.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:25 PM  
Poison Idea

Depends on the campus imo. I've fine with it not being allowed on secluded campuses that are separate from the local town, like UVA. However campuses, like VCU and Univ of Pittsburgh, where their buildings are all over a major metropolitan area where you're going to deal with the non students then carrying should be allowed.

It's one thing to not allow it where the area can be effectively policed and secured without the need for individuals to be armed, it's quite another to expect your students to deal with the general public and not be allowed any personal protection.

As for your situation, I'd simply make friends with a few people in class and just come and go together if crime is an issue. You're far less likely to be attacked or hassled as a group.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:26 PM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
Ma'am; my son is finishing up their; going on to UNCC shortly. I too; agree; You; he; they; should have the means to assist; if an self defense altercation reared.

(My son; is fairly large; fairly strong; with a concealed carry permit. He will not jepordize his license to make a point.} He has shared with me some of his concerns

Many of the young people groups that I participate with; are students at CP
with some at the different U's in NC. My concerns; are many; too; I have friends working at UNCC; they too; are powerless.

I haven't found one proper answer; it is an ongoing discussion. Maybe! with our newly found electorials in NC; something can be done by the voters; for the voters.
What's with the semi colons?
Old 11-14-2010, 03:35 PM  

with a smile :)

: are for emphasis
My words! are conversation; in form with a

"We have never seen anything like this.? Mark 2:12

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.