Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: would you have stayed to help?
i would have pulled him out 12 44.44%
i would have left when the drama started 14 51.85%
i would have never stopped 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
stuck motorist

please read the entire post before voting

i have a weird obsession with driving in extreme conditions. tonight was no exception. i left the house when it was 0*F and blowing snow, lots of it. in the 3 hours previous to me leaving the house we had gotten about 8 inches. no plows had run yet (was about 0230). the roads are insane slick, and have obscene amounts of snow on them, just my cup of tea! i take off into the country plowing my own trail, have a blast. as i am coming back into town, i see a mid '00s trailblazer in the ditch with a silverado ss along side the road beside it. i put on the flashers and pull up next to them. i see a guy and a girl coming out of the ditch to get into the truck, the guy is on crutches. i roll the window down and ask if they want me to pull them out. the driver is all abouut it, the guy in the truck says we need to get outta here. i look at the driver and he say he would love some help.

i get in the back of the jeep to grab my gloves, rope shovel and flashlight, and i get to digging. as i am laid up under this trail blazer i hear the driver of the truck talking (keep in mind his truck is full of people, none of which got out to help) we need to go, we've been drinking. i hear the driver of the trailblazer say back, no no, im fine. he didnt strike me as intoxicated, just very happy i was helping out. the truck guy goes on saying, he'll never get you out, that rope will snap (20k lbs heavy duty hookless tow strap lol) we can come back in the morning bla bla bla. i had had enough of this guy so i crawled out from under the blazer and told him that if they leave it until mornig NDDOT will tag it and they will have to pay a fine, ill have it out in 5 min and if your not going to help please sit there with your flashers on and let me finish. the silverado guy WAS intoxicated, pretty obvious.

got the front end dug out enough to get the strap around his swaybar (not the best spot, but thats all i could get to) and as i am coming out of the ditch to get my jeep positioned, ****** bag ss guy backs up to me like he's gonna pull him out. 2wd truck with summer tires and no hitch. so i wave him off, he just sits there, so i yell 'get out of the youcanguesswhatgoeshereing way'! he floors it slides across the road and about gets stuck himself. i back the jeep up, hook the strap to the recovery loop on my back bumper and pull him right out. ****** bag comes back telling me how awesome that was thanks bla bla, whatever. i remove my strap, shake the trailblazer guys hand and leave.

after it was all said and done, i thought back to myself; what if that guy was actually drunk? i didnt really talk to him much, but his buddies were SLAMMED. i hope i didnt tempt fate by putting him back on the road. he wasnt sluring and i couldnt smell anything. what would you have done?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 AM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
I probably would have left.... I like to help those i can, but i'm not gonna get into all the drama...

Old 12-11-2010, 08:47 AM  
Poison Idea

Middle option since it's the closest to what I'd do.

I'd offer to drive people home at that point, but I'll be damned if I'd risk getting in front of or under their vehicle if they were potentially drunk. Not about to leave people in those conditions, but I'm not going to put myself in harms way when they're that stupid.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:11 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I LR with Motorcharge.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I'm glad you did it.

Doing good is something we do in spite of ease, not because of it.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 AM  

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Its all about Karma.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
I would have stopped helping when the drama started, that kinda of stuff sketches me out, kudos for sticking with it cache. I hope the got home ok.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 PM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Being from a cold climate myself, I always stop and pull the non-drivers out. Can't help it, always have and always will.

From the time that they are out of the ditch, 'till they get where they are going, "it's on them". At least, no one will freeze.

You did the right thing by getting them outa the ditch, if they drove drunk(before or after) it's on them....

and that Karma thing too...lol
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I probably would've finished it up if I started it - I don't think I'd just leave right in the middle. If the driver was clearly intoxicated, I would've pulled it out and told him I'd follow him and call the cops if he doesn't call a cab to get him home. I have no sympathy for drunk drivers.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-11-2010, 11:59 PM  
Ric

Denver, Colorado
not sure, I know I would have stopped, but once I found out they were drunk/drinking, Id probley leave and called 911,
not for sure, but IF they was drunk, and YOU pulled them out, allowing them to drive, then they hit and kill someone, cant you, be help accountable ????
even if you wasnt held acctounable, Id feel like crap, knowing...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads