Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM  

Tipping servers...How much?

Im just curious what othere think about tipping, primarily at restaurants. Do you tip more for good service? Do you tip less (or not at all) for poor service? How do you figure how much to tip?

I myself usually double the dollar amount....If the bill is $30.00, I will double the $3, which leaves $6.00, and adjust lower for poor service, or a little higher for better service.

My kids use their cell phone apps, which gives them the choice of 15%, 18%, and 20%, and leave the exact amount the phone says to pay.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I do pretty well the same thing. 20% is a good tip for good service.
I'll adjust down for lousy service and up for outstanding service.
And I tip based on the quality of the service, not on the quality of the food or other things which the server has little or no control over,

Old 07-22-2011, 02:11 PM  
fustrated genius

When we go eat it's usually a lunch. The cheapo places we go are most often about 20 bucks or so and I will tip about 5 bucks depending on the waiter/waitress. If I don't like them, the tip reflects it. Get the order wrong, and they get a nickle.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM  

I don't have the guts to leave just a nickel. What happens to your order when you return there at a later time?
Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 PM  
fustrated genius

If I'm not happy with the place I usually go elsewhere. We have our certain favs.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:56 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Im with HiHood. You deserve a nickel, you get a nickel.

I like to leave "Tips" on a one dollar bill if the service was horrible. Ive also written tips on pitchers.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:41 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Little to no tip for ****** service, 15% tip for standard service, and up to 30% for me if the service is above and beyond the call of duty.

If the food is terrible it's not the servers fault and I still tip accordingly but I have been known to call for and speak to the cheif when the food has been exceptionally bad.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 PM  

30%? Wow, I only did that once, and it was to a relative!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
30%? Wow, I only did that once, and it was to a relative!

I only tip that much on very rare occasions. The food and service, however, have to be many miles beyond the above average or status quo.

Don't worry. It's almost as rare as finding hens teeth to get the kind of service I'm talking about that would get 30% tip.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM  
fustrated genius

But maybe I should put this over in the what po's you section but, we went to San Diego once with several people to see a Chet Atkins concert. When we stopped to eat, there must have been at least 10 of us. The girl was FANTASIC, got all the orders right, we were kept filled up on drinks, (ice tea for me) and when it was all done, all these other people where arguing over nickles and friggin dimes who should pitch in what. I tossed in enough to cover my wife and I and my mother and a good hefty tip. Well, one of the @#*%@# at the table stole the EXTRA money (about 25 bucks) and that poor waitress hardly got poo for cranking out a good job. I was PO'd.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!