Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2011, 04:06 PM  

I was recently in Tennessee helping out the Red Cross. I took my crew to a nice restaurant one night, with the condition there was no "shop talk." If someone mentioned work related items, the violator had to throw down a buck into the tip for the waitress. By the end of the night, the tip the really nice girl received was more money than the bill for the food. Needless to say, we returned there afterwards quite a bit, and the same waitress jumped at the opportunity to wait on us!

Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
I only tip that much on very rare occasions. The food and service, however, have to be many miles beyond the above average or status quo.

Don't worry. It's almost as rare as finding hens teeth to get the kind of service I'm talking about that would get 30% tip.
I've tipped 30% and more on rare occasions as well, but like you say.....

Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
But maybe I should put this over in the what po's you section but, we went to San Diego once with several people to see a Chet Atkins concert. When we stopped to eat, there must have been at least 10 of us. The girl was FANTASIC, got all the orders right, we were kept filled up on drinks, (ice tea for me) and when it was all done, all these other people where arguing over nickles and friggin dimes who should pitch in what. I tossed in enough to cover my wife and I and my mother and a good hefty tip. Well, one of the @#*%@# at the table stole the EXTRA money (about 25 bucks) and that poor waitress hardly got poo for cranking out a good job. I was PO'd.
I always feel a little uneasy when someone else settles the bill. I prefer individual bills even at group events. All it takes is one stupid cheapskate and the whole table gets tarred with the same brush.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I always feel a little uneasy when someone else settles the bill. I prefer individual bills even at group events. All it takes is one stupid cheapskate and the whole table gets tarred with the same brush.
oh NOW That's how I do. That taught me a lesson.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
It's happened to me a couple of times too. I take some guys out to lunch on business to one of my favorite places, and they insist on paying the bill. So I let them.

The next time I'm there, the server who knows my face and in some cases my first name fills me in on the tip and all I can do is hang my head in shame.

And never do business with the jerk again, ever!
Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
We usually tip in the neighborhood of 15 to 20% on average. It all depends on what type of service we get and such.
I also don't like "pitching in" when out with a group of people I prefer my own tab/bill and then when the night is done I can settle up myself and not have to worry about the cheap'os that are inevitably in the group.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:51 AM  
AZ Resident

Surprise, Arizona
I tip like most others. 15% for standard, less/none for bad and more for good. I've tipped up to 50% but that was to a manager that would jump over the bar to retrieve a table for my wife and I. We never waited a full 5 minutes even when others were waiting 90 minutes or more. She always earned her tips.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM  

I was recently told from someone in the restaurant industry that 15% is no longer an acceptable amount, and have raised it to a minimum of 18%. Your thoughts?
Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 AM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
As far as I am concerned I will keep tipping based on the level of service and such. So they can change it all they want.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:07 PM  
Ceg

Selah, Washington
I tip a little over 15% for good service. More for great service. Less then 15% for crappy service and do not go back if the service has been bad twice in a row.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!