Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2011, 12:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Toooooooooo hot!

Quote:
Much of the state of Texas is in an exceptional drought, as are a half dozen states across the southern tier, including Florida, Georgia, and Arizona. Meteorologists say it will likely take something like a tropical storm, with prolonged drenching rains, to pull Texas out of its deepening drought.
The Southwest is struggling to control wildfires, fueled by winds and drought, scorching thousands of acres.
"The brunt of the exceptional heat has coincided with where the brunt of the drought is," says Ostro. "There have also been surges of heat into other locations, such as is going to happen during the remainder of this week."
It seems that 2011's heat and drought may be here to stay. We crunched the numbers through June 29th, and found some cities that have already recorded a top five hottest June on record. Take a look at just a few of them.
HTML Code:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43595628/ns/weather-the_weather_channel/
Dallas, Texas
Forecast
Maybe the Big D should be known as the Big 3 ... for triple digits. June 18 of this year was the hottest day so far, reaching a whopping 104 degrees! The city's average temperature this month is 86.7 degrees, helping it reach its third hottest June on record.

Oklahoma City, Okla.
Forecast
Oklahoma City has the dubious distinction of being a severe weather mecca. This year, they also have the distinction of having one of their hottest June's on record. With an average temperatures of 83.9 degrees, June 2011 will rank among the top three hottest.

Jackson, Miss.
Forecast
The heat just won't give Jackson a break. June 2011 will finish out near a top five hottest. 2010 was no better, coming in as the fifth hottest June on record. Their average temp this June was 83.4 degrees.

Wichita Falls, Texas
Forecast
This month will go down as Wichita Falls' hottest June on record (looking at statistics through June 28). Their average temp this month is a scorching 89.4.

It's so hot in Wichita Falls that home repair businesses say home foundations are becoming damaged. As the temps rise, the ground dries out earlier than usual. That's creating cracks in walls, door jambs, and even plumbing pipes.

Lubbock, Texas
Forecast
June 2011 will go down as the hottest June on record, examining statistics through June 29. The average temp this month is 85.9.
Lubbock also has the double whammy of experiencing one of their driest years on record. They've had only 1.10 inches of rain so far this year.
Toooooooooo hot!-oklahoma-heat.grid-8x2.jpg 

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Come out to Seattle, sunny and 68.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Come out to Seattle, sunny and 68.

Sunny and the same down here in the Willamette.

The part I really love is that I haven't paid a penny for heat or AC since the first week of 2011. Electric was $35 each of the last two months.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Electric was $35 each of the last two months.
damn you. and your good weather!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:44 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
damn you. and your good weather!
It was intentional to move here Brit. Didn't you sit down one day and wonder where you might move to 110 degree temps where the country regularly catches fire?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
It was intentional to move here Brit. Didn't you sit down one day and wonder where you might move to 110 degree temps where the country regularly catches fire?
I didn't. Like most I live here and complain but it's honeslty not that bad.

After countless summers, 100 degrees can be pleasant in the correct setting.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
The temperature swings here can be cruel sometimes. Like last week I went out to camp for a couple of days and when I got there the temp was a nice balmy 72, then during the night it went down to 38, then by mid morning it was 62. it was a cold night in the tent that night.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:31 PM  
fustrated genius

When I bought my place, I came out here and looked around. HOT, dirty, snakes, no water, I thought to myself, NO ONE in their right mind would wanna move here. Way way out here 25 or so miles from pavement, this "hell" is heaven to me. And it's only a little over 100 right now. Spose to get to about 108-111 today.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:02 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I understand the lure of isolation but why a desert? I don't find much above 70 degrees comfy. Each Summer we get a few days of Nevada heat blowing North into the Willamette. I'm impressed, it's like living next to a pizza oven.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:37 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
I understand the lure of isolation but why a desert? I don't find much above 70 degrees comfy. Each Summer we get a few days of Nevada heat blowing North into the Willamette. I'm impressed, it's like living next to a pizza oven.
That's odd because for me, anything below 80 makes my teeth chatter and on go jackets and thermos and I HATE rain, and clouds are gloomy and depessing to me.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!