Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2011, 11:27 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Treasure Trove of Staggering Riches

22 $BILLION?

HTML Code:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/05/world/asia/05india.html?_r=1
Beneath a Temple in Southern India, a Treasure Trove of Staggering Riches
By VIKAS BAJAJ
Published: July 4, 2011

Quote:
MUMBAI, India ? A court-ordered search of vaults beneath a south Indian temple has unearthed gold, jewels and statues worth an estimated $22 billion, government officials said Monday.
The treasure trove, at the 16th century Sri Padmanabhaswamy temple, is widely believed to be the largest find of its kind in India, catching officials in the state of Kerala by surprise and forcing the government to send two dozen police officers to the previously unguarded shrine for round-the-clock security.

The discovery has also revived questions about who should manage the wealth, much of which is believed to have been deposited at the temple by the royal family of the princely state of Travancore, which acceded to India when the country became independent in 1947. Some of the vaults under the temple have not been opened for nearly 150 years, temple officials have said.

Temples in India often have rich endowments, mainly from donations of gold and cash by pilgrims and wealthy patrons, but the wealth discovered at Padmanabhaswamy dwarfs the known assets of every other Indian temple. Such assets are typically meant to be used by administrators to operate temples and provide services to the poor, but they have often become the subject of heated disputes and controversies.
India?s Supreme Court ordered the opening of the vaults at Padmanabhaswamy to assess the wealth of the temple after a local activist, T. P. Sundararajan, filed a case accusing administrators of mismanaging and poorly guarding the temple. Descendants of the royal family still control the trust that manages the temple, which is devoted to the Hindu god Vishnu.

Quote:
Searchers have found bags of gold coins, diamonds and other jewels and solid-gold statues of gods and goddesses. On Monday, searchers started to unseal ?Section B? of the vaults, a large space that was expected to reveal another sizable collection, said P. T. Chacko, the spokesman for the chief minister of Kerala, Oommen Chandy.

Mr. Chacko said Kerala would not seek control of the temple or its treasure, a step that some activists have recommended. ?The treasure is donated to the temple from disciples and believers; it?s the property of the temple,? he said. ?It has nothing to do with the state.?

India?s Supreme Court will decide what happens to the treasure and the rest of the temple, which sits in the heart of Kerala?s capital, Thiruvananthapuram, once it has established the total value of the holdings, which could take months to finish. Early estimates of the treasure have been raised several times as searchers have opened more of the vaults in recent days.

The economy of Kerala, a relatively prosperous Indian state, relies heavily on remittances from migrant workers in the Middle East and elsewhere. For many decades, it led the country in improving development indicators like literacy and infant mortality.
Treasure Trove of Staggering Riches-lord-vishnu.jpg 

Treasure Trove of Staggering Riches-padmanabhaswamy-temple-light.jpg 

Treasure Trove of Staggering Riches-4791.jpg 

Treasure Trove of Staggering Riches-dscf0121.jpg 

Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Two dozen police officers for security sounds a little skimpy for a hoard of that magnitude.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Two dozen police officers for security sounds a little skimpy for a hoard of that magnitude.
You got that right, but I don't know, maybe it works for their population.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM  

Wow ! Unbelievable. Two dozen officers? No way ... after this story broke there are going to be all kinds of people trying to get at it...
Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
You got that right, but I don't know, maybe it works for their population.
Even if it does work in that context the 22 Billion dollar cat is out of the bag now.

If 100 million dollars would equal a billion dollars then 22 Billion = 2200 hundred armed men guaranteed 1 MILLION apiece for taking the cash from 24 stiffs.

The Temple folks said they intended keeping the loot stored in the temple. We store our loot in a Fort on a military base.

I'm obviously no math major so this interpretation if accurate just compounds the problem:

1,000 million = 1 billion = 1,000,000,000
1,000 billion = 1 trillion = 1,000,000,000,000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillion
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM  

"22 billion $ cat out of the bag" now why didnt I think of saying that
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
it probably helps having 14 ferals with hungry eyes.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:53 PM  
fustrated genius

I see no possible way that so much as a nickle's worth of that treasure could ever reach my empty, poverty stricken pockets.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:32 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I see no possible way that so much as a nickle's worth of that treasure could ever reach my empty, poverty stricken pockets.
Got that phone number for Oceans 11?

For 22 BILLION bucks I could hire half the state of Kerala to steal it.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM  
fustrated genius

more like two thrids the state of kerala but who's countin

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!