Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Vinyl signs

Looking for some vinyl signs for my work van. Bought some from Vistaprint and they started to peel after a couple months. They say there is no warranty. Anyone buy them from someone else and had better luck?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 AM  

Sammamish, WA
Make sure that you specify "Premium" (cast) vinyl. If it peeled that quickly, it was either the less expensive "intermediate" (calendered) vinyl or the surface was not prepared properly. No one is likely to offer a warranty unless doing the installation, but premium
vinyl should last 8 years without peeling. I did it for 17 years (not any more) and found most applications to last even as long as 10 years with premium, but the intermediate can start to shrink within a year or two in sunny climates. I would always clean the paint with alcohol prior to applying the vinyl to make sure there is no wax or grease left, and that the temperature is at least 65F for best results.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
These are the magnetic vinyl signs. When I talked to a Vistaprint rep, they said 2 months is about the right life span. Too bad they don't say that before you order. No one in my area makes them, so I have to order sight unseen. I even put them back in the cardboard sleeve when I wasn't using the van for work.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I have made magnetic signs 10 years ago that are still in use. In fact I have a pair from my old shop truck back in 1997 that are still in great shape. If left on all the time, they should last 5 years, but can cause damage to the paint. They should be removed and the back cleaned, as well as the car door weekly. The best way to store them when not in use is flat on the side of a metal file cabinet or refrigerator indoors. With a life of two months they will obviously get a lot of replacement business, but no business at all if they tell people that ahead of time. The magnetic sheet I used was covered with vinyl, then the lettering applied to that. Again, the cheap intermediate vinyl will not last but should still go a year or more. Try a local sign shop with a real storefront that has been around for a while. All of my signs were guaranteed one year. Though I would expect magnetics to last 7-8 years there are too many variables with weather, and customer maintenance for any longer warranty.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
The signs were only on the van from the time I left in the a m til I got home in the p m. Since I am semi-retired, they were only used a couple days a week.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
The signs were only on the van from the time I left in the a m til I got home in the p m. Since I am semi-retired, they were only used a couple days a week.
Sounds like cheap materials or bad workmanship then.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Their business cards are junk too.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM  
American

It's cheaper to buy the stuff and make them yourself if you need them more than once.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Your-Bes...item35b98b4fc6

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!