Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2011, 04:37 AM  
just a little lower..

Titusville, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Actually, it took me till 5:30 until I had my desk cleaned up enough to feel comfortable pulling the pin. But now it's all good.

Everyone at work knows I will only be checking my e-mails while perched on a Thomas Crapper.

If I work like a dog around the house for a couple of days and actually manage to get some overdue stuff done, I should be good to go up north to open up our summer camp by Tuesday or Wednesday.

And that really is one of my favorite things. A chainsaw is usually needed to clear the access road, but once that is done all that is left to do is unlock the door, sweep the place clean, crack a beer and start a roaring fire.

Until it gets cold again, if I'm not here, it means I'm hiding out up there

I hear ya, I never seem to be able to leave work early or even on time....

Sounds like a great way to unwind......enjoy!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:50 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
I figure a week should be enough to recalibrate my brain and my wife's to-do list so that I manage to survive until the real vacation starts in August
Every time you change your avatar I wonder who I'm talking to.

I'm hoping to get mine mid July.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:53 AM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
I figure a week should be enough to recalibrate my brain and my wife's to-do list so that I manage to survive until the real vacation starts in August
A brain recalibration sounds great ? I need at least 1500 km tour to do it ? never mind, in the weekend I did 30 km tour ?
Virtual pub “With a little help from my friends”-picture-148.jpg 

https://bgbybike.tripod.com
Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 AM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
No tornadoes in your parts?

Earthquakes?
Austin ... I just have written you that in BG we have not tornadoes .... and next day there were several (the photo is not mine) ... but the scale of it is not like these in USA - you can see it on the photo below ... In the weekend there was an earthquake in the East-Northern part of the country - 4,5 level according to Richter scale. North in Romania there is big crack in the earth - it is one of the main places of earthquakes in our region.
We are placed near one of the great cracks - Mediterranean, Kavkaz, Himalaya - east to Japan ...
Virtual pub “With a little help from my friends”-tornado.jpg 

Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisbob View Post
Austin ... I just have written you that in BG we have not tornadoes .... and next day there were several (the photo is not mine) ... but the scale of it is not like these in USA - you can see it on the photo below ... In the weekend there was an earthquake in the East-Northern part of the country - 4,5 level according to Richter scale. North in Romania there is big crack in the earth - it is one of the main places of earthquakes in our region.
We are placed near one of the great cracks - Mediterranean, Kavkaz, Himalaya - east to Japan ...
How far where you from it?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:35 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Every time you change your avatar I wonder who I'm talking to...
I don't change it that often. When I do it's usually related to a change in the weather.

Which by the way is not being very cooperative for my vacancy!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:58 AM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
We're off to see the Wizard.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 AM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
How far where you from it?
Austin … on the photo below you can see the tectonic plates in the world ant their interactions. I have pointed BG in red letters. It can be seen, that we are relatively close to the black line along the north shore of Africa. This crack has an influence on our area, but its strongest effect is on Sicilia, Italy, Greece, Turk, north African shore. Along this line you can find out several vulcans – Vesuvius, Etna, Santoriny (in Aegean Sea – a history one).

You can see the complicated situation in Japan, where 4 tectonic plates are interacting each other.

The local crack influencing on us is placed approx 450 km North-East from my town – it is in Vrancha Mountains (in Romania). It is a local epicenter of earthquakes, unfortunately deep in the earth, so seismic waves affect strongly a larger area including BG.

In the beginning of March 1977 there was a powerful shock in the same place. In this moment I was in the strongly influenced area – Rousse town at Danube river, I was in the cinema. It was awful, I succeeded to jump quickly just behind a column, so running people did not beat me down. I have never known how loud the women are able to scream …. I was the last one leaving the building. On the streets there were bricks from the broken chimneys, several people were injured badly, 5-6 were killed.

Another local, but significant crack is along the north shore of Turkey (east from us). Last decades they had several very strong earthquakes.

In BG we go have 4-5 local epicenters, usually each 200 year - a strong earthquake (6-7 deg of the Richter scale) is possible. But it has only restricted local effect.

Usually people do not know, but … for example … earthquake having a magnitude of 7,2 deg (according Richter scale) is 10 000 times stronger than one of 7,6 deg. So, the number behind the comma is of great significance.
Virtual pub “With a little help from my friends”-800px-plates_tect2_en_svg.jpg 

Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM  
The Wizard of Odd

Bulgaria
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
We're off to see the Wizard.

Here is he for a while ? Friday in BG again is a national celebration ? so, I will add tomorrow to it and again I will have 4 days vacancy ? YEAHHHHHHHHHH ?? beginning with 2-3 cups of rakia this evening ?.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Here is he for a while ? Friday in BG again is a national celebration ? so, I will add tomorrow to it and again I will have 4 days vacancy ? YEAHHHHHHHHHH ?? beginning with 2-3 cups of rakia this evening ?.
You guys have a lot of holidays, what's this one celebrating?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.