Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2011, 06:57 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Volcano erupts beneath glacier in Iceland

HTML Code:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/05/21/iceland.volcano/?hpt=T1
Quote:
(CNN) -- The Grimsvotn volcano under the Vatnajokull glacier in Iceland was erupting Saturday, according to the Icelandic Meteorological Office.
A dark cloud of smoke was rising from the glacier, and scientists were flying over the scene to evaluate the event, according to CNN affiliate TV2 Iceland.
The last eruption of the volcano was in 2004, TV2 Iceland reported.
Last year, another Icelandic eruption, of the volcano Eyjafjallajokull, attracted worldwide attention after its ash cloud disrupted air travel across Europe.
Sitrun Kapitola, manager of the Islandia Hotel Nupar, which is close to Saturday's eruption, said she could see a cloud of smoke over the mountains, and ash was falling around the hotel.
Police were telling her and others that there was no need to evacuate and there was nothing to fear, Kapitola said.
"We see it very well," she said.
"It's nothing compared to the other one," she added, referring to last year's dramatic Eyjafjallajokull eruption.
Tourists at the hotel were excited to see the eruption, watching the events unfold while eating dinner, she said.
"It happens every 10 years," she said. "It mostly produces water."
Grimsvotn is Iceland's most frequently active volcano. In 1783, a 16.7-mile fissure system from the volcano produced the world's largest known historical lava flow over a seven-month period, damaging crops and livestock, according to the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. A resulting famine led to the loss of one-fifth of Iceland's population, according to the Smithsonian website.
What sort of crops grew in Iceland?
Volcano erupts beneath glacier in Iceland-iceland.volcano.afp.gi.jpg 

Old 05-22-2011, 07:14 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'm not a big fan of volcanos except from a distance. They're too unpredictable for me.
I'm glad there's none around here.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I see your point but I have a few of my own. Tried hurricanes & tornadoes. I suggest you avoid the hurricanes and use a bit of common sense with tornadoes but also enjoy their wonder and power.

My very neighborly snow cones are showing little interest in blowing their tops. If that changes suddenly keep in mind that hell is a nursing home for old farts and a pyroclastic flow takes but a second.

I have far more concern about our local subduction fault. I expect to shake, rattle & roll before any snowcones blow.
Volcano erupts beneath glacier in Iceland-msh80_august_7_eruption_plume_08-07-80_bw.jpg 

Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM  
fustrated genius

Isn't that mount saint helens?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'd be getting a few miles between me and that baby
Old 09-11-2014, 07:43 AM  

Nevada
Iceland Volcano Eruption Grows

And there's no way Man can ever stop it.

Read the story @ http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-...rgest-century/

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!