Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM  
fustrated genius

The reason migs are easier is that you pretty much aim, squeeze the trigger and it welds. As far as pretty welding, the difference between a poor weld and a good one is about 1/2 hr worth of GRINDING. The AMP serg is horrific and would need some addressing, bigger breakers or fuses, which ever you have . I would also reccomend the electronic welding hoods, they might be more but worth the buckage, if not, at least a flip down. You should be prepared to flip the bucks for a grinder, gloves and wire brushes, toothbrush size and hand size. PREP is the key to a good weld, cleanliness is crucial.
Havasu, check A&B

Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
You should be prepared to flip the bucks for a grinder, gloves and wire brushes, toothbrush size and hand size. PREP is the key to a good weld, cleanliness is crucial.
Very useful, thank you. I have a small grinder, files and some wire brushes. It helps me in considering some options that may come up. Now that I've looked at a few things I see renting is only an option outside towns & cities. To my East when the town ends it's all farms till you reach the Cascades. To my West is different. Small towns, vineyards and a lot I've never explored. This Summer I;ll try to do some exploring for something in that region.

What needs welding on a tub? Feet?

Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Very useful, thank you. I have a small grinder, files and some wire brushes. It helps me in considering some options that may come up. Now that I've looked at a few things I see renting is only an option outside towns & cities. To my East when the town ends it's all farms till you reach the Cascades. To my West is different. Small towns, vineyards and a lot I've never explored. This Summer I;ll try to do some exploring for something in that region.

What needs welding on a tub? Feet?
Better put a chipping hammer on your list too.
tub? The tub (body) on my Willys Jeep. I cut the floor out and the right rear quarter panel and welded in new ones due to cancer.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I need to do the same in my 98, but have no welding skills
Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Better put a chipping hammer on your list too.
tub? The tub (body) on my Willys Jeep. I cut the floor out and the right rear quarter panel and welded in new ones due to cancer.
Gotcha, wrong tub.

The last thing I'd enjoy is a chipping hammer on metal but could a chipping hammer be used as a carving tool on hardwoods like maple?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:46 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I need to do the same in my 98, but have no welding skills
No skills? look at it this way, what are you gonna do, ruin the tub? It already got cancer, yes.
I'm not a very good welder at all, I just had plate certs. that's like beginner stuff and my sight is not as good as it was. I made bumpers for the YJ I used to have with the swing away tire gate, but they were simple.

Quote:
Gotcha, wrong tub.

The last thing I'd enjoy is a chipping hammer on metal but could a chipping hammer be used as a carving tool on hardwoods like maple?
Chipping hammer on metal for slag. Chip off the slag.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Chipping hammer on metal for slag. Chip off the slag.
Pretty much figured that but I need a tool to carve maple. That wood is so hard it laughs at my chisels.

You probably know what a Foredom tool is. That's the Dremel like hanging motor turning a flexible head at the end of flexible cable. A friend in PA inherited a high speed model from his grandpa. He bought square blocks of lucite and used the Foredom to carve out a figure inside the lucite block. He'd enter the block and do all carving from within.

Even that might not do more than scratch maple but a chipping hammer and very sharp heads might solve the problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Pretty much figured that but I need a tool to carve maple. That wood is so hard it laughs at my chisels.

You probably know what a Foredom tool is. That's the Dremel like hanging motor turning a flexible head at the end of flexible cable. A friend in PA inherited a high speed model from his grandpa. He bought square blocks of lucite and used the Foredom to carve out a figure inside the lucite block. He'd enter the block and do all carving from within.

Even that might not do more than scratch maple but a chipping hammer and very sharp heads might solve the problem.
you an arteest or just playing around for fun?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
you an arteest or just playing around for fun?
A bit of both actually. I'm an okay wood sculptor but the wood I'd like to work with most is birdseye maple. I tried years ago for days before admitting I lacked a tool that could carve the wood. Did you see the tulipwood torpedo I posted in automotive?
My Dodge Caravan dates from Chrysler's first year doing powdercoat. The paint on the roof and hod peel off and rust begins.Thought I could carve it a new body.....
Old 06-15-2011, 06:31 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Freehand TIG from a guy in our shop.
That's the fill/safety release fitting on a hermetically sealed aircraft engine fire extinguisher.
The extinguishing agent is pressurized to about 700 psi in that particular bottle.
Welding anyone?-freehand-tig.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!