Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
Yeah but most know if you push my buttons to much I will "push" you nose to the
back of you head without hesitation.
Unless its a female, damn females can get away with a lot cuz I won't hit a female.
Guys on the other hand, keeping pushing, I double dare. lol
Not me, I puke at the thought of violence and pass out at the sight of blood. ('scuse me, i have to go puke)

Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Not me, I puke at the thought of violence and pass out at the sight of blood. ('scuse me, i have to go puke)
I think at heart Chris is a Teddy Bear but then you real shouldn't PO a bear.
Yellowstone Bear Attack: How to Not Get Eaten by a Grizzly - The Daily Beast

How to Not Get Eaten

A hiker was mauled to death by a grizzly in Yellowstone this week, the latest in a rash of attacks. Carolyn Sun has five handy tips should you find yourself in the woods with a tall, dark stranger.

Quote:
On Wednesday, a hiker was mauled to death by a mama grizzly in Yellowstone Park, the first deadly attack in 25 years. On the same day, a 51-year-old barely survived a bear attack in British Columbia. The next day, the body of a 72-year-old woman was discovered half-eaten by grizzly bears in?again?British Columbia.

Is it me or are bear attacks on the rise?

?There?s a much greater chance that something will happen to you just walking home than to me [walking] in Yellowstone,? points out Al Nash, chief of public affairs for Yellowstone. This June the park yielded 634,316 visitors; the last three summers have been record-breaking in terms of visitors, with attendance peaking in July.

But Nash says he?s not worried about the high-profile attack affecting tourism. ?Most visitors to the park make their plans months in advance, because you need to with the camp grounds.?

Visitor statistics won?t be available until the end of July. However, this is the first time in 25 years there has been a fatal bear attack at Yellowstone, and it?s unlikely to happen again.

Nonetheless, it may yield dividends to learn how to prevent and escape bear attacks should this improbable event occur. There are many myths about how to survive encounters?including hitting sticks together and running in a circle. Some websites even suggest different ways to deal with the two bear species that are indigenous to North America, the grizzly and the black bear.

?
If you?re close enough to identify the species of a bear, you?ve got bigger concerns.
?
Black bears are reputedly better tree climbers than grizzlies, and some survival guides advise you to climb a tree if you spot a grizzly. San Diego Zoo?s animal keeper, Rick Schwartz confirms that black bears are excellent tree climbers because of their shorter, cleated claws. But, he offers, ?If you?re close enough to identify the species of a bear, you?ve got bigger concerns.?

The deceased Yellowstone hiker, who?d been hiking with his wife, spotted the mama grizzly with her cubs about 100 yards off. They immediately walked in the other direction?but when they looked behind them, they saw the grizzly charging towards them.

What can be done? Here are five tips for surviving a close encounter with a bear:

1. Avoid being in that situation in the first place. Nash reiterates that hikers should beware hiking trails in bear country where you can?t see too far ahead of you. ?Make loud clapping noises or sing loudly,? he advises, in order to give the bear ample time to get out of your way. Wear bells if you are prone to get tired of singing. Schwartz adds that hikers should ?touch base with the rangers in that area before hiking to ask about the animals.?

2. While facing the bear, back away slowly. Black bears are less aggressive than grizzlies, but they can still tear you from limb to limb. Retreat.

3. Carry bear spray and have it easily within reach. It blinds the bear and makes it difficult for it to breathe. If a bear is hurtling towards you, aim and fire that the spray in its face. Then run.

4. If you don?t have a can of bear spray handy?Stop, drop to your belly and throw your arms out to the sides with your hands on the back of your neck. This makes it difficult for a bear to tear into your vulnerable belly and the position of your arms will make it harder for it to flip you over. Make your vital organs inaccessible.

5. Play Dead. ?Bears survive on nuts and berries,? according to Schwartz of the San Diego Zoo. ?They?re not usually eying you for protein.? When bears attack, it?s usually because of a perceived threat. Going limp could be your best move.
What ticks you off on a regular basis-1310210536737.jpg 

Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM  
fustrated genius

A buddy of mine lost three hounds and got torn up by a blk bear back in the late 70's. They're mean and FAST. Sometimes they come back down and get angry about it.

no, this ain't him, don't know these guys

Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
A buddy of mine lost three hounds and got torn up by a blk bear back in the late 70's. They're mean and FAST.
You chase me with hounds and you'd say the same thing. The article made the point that bears rarely want human flesh. I have been camping with bears very close and I've heard them in thick brush on the Adirondack Trail. I have yet to see a wild bear closer than several hundred yards.

It's late Spring in Yellowstone about now and I'd be very cautious where I hiked or camped. Snow still had many roads closed in mid May when I visited. I think most of the park bears were still asleep.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Idyll threat, you said you're given that up. I retired my fists 40 years ago this year. It was expected to fail but it endured.
I won't start a fight myself, but if some throws at me or says something about
my old lady I will still knock someone out.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:32 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I think at heart Chris is a Teddy Bear but then you real shouldn't PO a bear.
My old lady says that all the time.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 PM  
fustrated genius

Having nothing left but a bunch of empty Walmart bags a day after pay day. That really ERKS me!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 AM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I feel your pain on that one. But this time I bought an atomizer to help me stop smoking.
And it has been worth every cent so far, I haven't had a cig in 12 hours which is unheard of for me.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:58 AM  

Use the 4 MG Nicorette Mint gum. It cured me from smoking almost 9 years ago, and haven't touched a cigarette since.

But now that I have been addicted to the Nicorette gum for nearly 9 years, I'm wondering if I should start smoking to quit that nasty habit!?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM  

OK, I had this happen just last night. I was headed out to visit a friend. I'm driving and stop at a signal to make a left turn, third car back in line. The left turn signal turns green, but the first car is driven by a lady who was busy fumbling inside her purse. Car # 2 is an old man, who is too polite to honk his horn at the idiot in her purse. I began to honk, which infuriates the old man. Six seconds go by, and finally the female looks up and drives thru a now yellow light. The old man proceeds after her, running the red light. Me....I get stuck waiting at the red signal for another 5 minutes, waiting again for the signal to phase to green.

I say to hell with banning cell phones. We should ban females with purses!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!