Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2011, 05:30 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
Ads on TV being so damn loud......I know flip channels or hit mute the second an ad starts.
I heard on the news a little while back that the gov. is supposed to be looking at a law for advertisers in regards to the sound volume on their ads and to be setting a limit to how loud that they can be. I will see if I can find it and post.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
That would be the first time the CRTC did something useful with taxpayers money

Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 AM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
+1.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
The equivalent of our FCC, so no one else has to look it up.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Here is the news article that I read a little while ago about the volume levels on the television, there are laws already in place in the U.S. and other places.

CRTC considers muting annoying, loud TV ads

OTTAWA — If you think TV ads are annoyingly loud or shrill, the CRTC wants to hear from you.

The federal regulator has invited viewers to offer opinions on the issue by April 18, with an eye to fixing the problem of commercials that sound louder than the programming they interrupt.

CRTC chair Konrad von Finckenstein said in a Thursday news release that loud ads are a “significant annoyance.”

“Viewers should not have to adjust the volume at every commercial break, and we will work with the broadcasting industry to find an acceptable solution.”

In the last three years, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has received over 600 complaints about the noise level of TV ads.

Last week, Conservative MP Nina Grewal tabled a private member’s bill to require broadcasters to ensure volumes match between commercials and the accompanying programming.

“It’s a common complaint, you‘re watching a program at a comfortable volume, the program breaks for a commercial and suddenly you’re jolted out of your seat by the loudness,” she explained at the time.

Asked about the bill, which will be discussed next month, Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff said he was sympathetic and the issue “is clearly on the minds of millions of Canadians.”

On its web page, the CRTC lists a number of reasons TV ads may seem to scream while trying to sell.

They include production techniques, audio compression levels that are set at maximum loudness and in frequencies designed to grab attention and the fact a commercial may directly follow a tranquil moment in the programming.

There are currently no laws in Canada dealing with TV ad volumes, although the U.S. recently passed a regulation and the United Kingdom established rules against excessively noisy or strident ads in 2008.

The CRTC said it’s trying to determine the practical application of volume target levels recommended in 2009 by the Advanced Television Systems Committee, the standards agency for North American broadcasters.

The commission wants to hear from consumers and experts who can comment on possible “technical and regulatory measures” that would ensure adds are not perceived to be louder and the costs associated with making changes.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
The equivalent of our FCC, so no one else has to look it up.
What's an FCC. You're gonna make me look it up, eh?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 AM  

Palm Beach County
Quote:
Comedian,
Old 04-21-2011, 12:31 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here you go, FCC.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I knew that already, I'm Canadian!
Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM  

People who invest in those metal security screens and then go off leaving them hanging wide open. For real! What the heck is that all about?!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads