Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 AM  
Senior Member
 
mkfarnam's Avatar

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 613 | Kudos: +15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomps View Post
and while on road rage subject...kids bumping music at stoplights
Is that what it's called? "bumping music"??......it's more like "pounding music".
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:16 AM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
Rant on. When I ride my bike down a residential street and some dumb f-----g MORON pulls up behind me, honks his horn then passes me on a residential street. I have the same right to a lane as a car, after all I am not a bicycle I am a person on a bike the same way someone else is a person in a car and not just a car. That's a good way to start a fight if I catch you. I carry Mace and not just for dogs. Rant off!
__________________

__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:05 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
 
Austin's Avatar

Texas
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,990 | Kudos: +90
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
So do all the people honking, shaking their fist and giving you a 1 finger salute after you make a turn.
Good to know. I always wondered why I was getting cheered on.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 AM  
Member
 
mikecu's Avatar

Palm Beach County
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 36 | Kudos: +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Rant on. When I ride my bike down a residential street and some dumb f-----g MORON pulls up behind me, honks his horn then passes me on a residential street. I have the same right to a lane as a car, after all I am not a bicycle I am a person on a bike the same way someone else is a person in a car and not just a car. That's a good way to start a fight if I catch you. I carry Mace and not just for dogs. Rant off!
Did you ever think that the "horn honk" was a courtesy for your safety.
That is standard practice.

Are you saying that the car should stay behind you, at your 10-15 mph?
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:25 AM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecu View Post
Did you ever think that the "horn honk" was a courtesy for your safety.
That is standard practice.

Are you saying that the car should stay behind you, at your 10-15 mph?
First, in this specific situation he was already beside me when he honked. I know what I said in the post but if you want specifics he was already beside me. Second, you need to learn traffic law. A bicycle is treated the same as any other vehicle on the road. In case I didn't make my point clear I will state it again, a bike and a car DO NOT have any rights or (get ready for this because I am about to use a big word) responsibility, the operators of those vehicles have rights and (oh dear, here's that word again) responsibility. If you are sayiing it's "standard practice" then you are saying, for yourself, it's standard practice to violate traffic laws. I this case the law is that it is illegal to pass a moving vehicle on a 2 lane residential street.
What further proof that you don't know what you're talking about. Go north up I95 from Del Ray Beach to 520 west and into Orlando and go to the Orlando Police Department. Ask for Officer Bill Edgar and ask him about this video>
Dude! Who do you think you’re honking at? | Commute Orlando
In case you are missing the point I'll explain it to you. Your opinion, and mine are irrelevant. It's about the LAW.
And to answer your question: Yes, when I'm doing 10-15 miles an hour on a public road in a residential area where it is illegal to pass a moving vehicle, YES, you stay behind me. A bicycle is treated the same way as if it is another car or a Mack truck. When a bicycle is on the road it has the right to occupy the ENTIRE lane the same as a car. Deal with it. It's the law and if you can't or won't obey the law, walk because you're not (Gosh darn it, he's using that word 3 times, may I should look it up) RESPONSIBLE enough for a car or a bicycle.
__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 AM  
Carolina Jeep Girl
 
Sarahdactyl's Avatar

Charlotte, North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 717 | Kudos: +36
Images: 1
The bicyclists here are quite nice . Once they see a car coming up from behind they drift the curb to allow safe passage. I give then a wide birth after I make sure everything is clear. However, I wait and stay behind the biker if he/she has intentions of turn left, can't tell ya how many close calls I have seen where a biker has his arm out to turn left and a driver almost nails them as they try to pass.

Most of the residential streets here are wide enough on both sides for bikers and drivers to share the road alike. Some have bike lanes, some don't but the roads were made wide enough for safe travel of bikes and vehicles alike.



Today I was aggrivated at a truck that had more than half the back of his vehicle sticking out of the median when he pulled out to turn left. I had to slam the breaks.

And currently the YJ barely has a clutch, I have to keep pumping it at stop lights. I believe there are some bubbles in the slave cylinder. Drove it without the clutch today on wet road and leaves. I fishtailed quite a few times. Took it very easy coming home today.

Looked up some laws of NC regarding bicyclists , they are supposed to stay right here

"When riding on a roadway, a bicyclist must ride in
the same direction as other traffic. Also, the bicyclist
must travel in the right-hand lane and should ride
as close as practicable to the right-hand edge of
the highway. [?20-146(a)] Exceptions to this
law are provided when the bicyclist is making
these maneuvers:
• Passing another vehicle moving in the same
direction [?20-146(a)(1)]
• Avoiding a dangerous obstruction
[?20-146(a)(2)]
• Riding on a one-way street [?20-146(a)(4)]
• Preparing for a left turn. [?20-146(e)]"



Being Passed
A bicyclist cannot take actions to prevent another
vehicle from lawfully passing. For example, the vehicle
being passed must give way to the right when given an
audible signal, and may not increase their speed until
they are completely passed. [?20-149

Whether biking or driving one should not antagonize another, this includes biker and driver. Neither should stop in the middle of the road, or purposely block lane to prevent passing.
__________________
Nothing is going to stop me unless it's Divine Intervention.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 PM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdactyl View Post
The bicyclists here are quite nice . Once they see a car coming up from behind they drift the curb to allow safe passage. I give then a wide birth after I make sure everything is clear. However, I wait and stay behind the biker if he/she has intentions of turn left, can't tell ya how many close calls I have seen where a biker has his arm out to turn left and a driver almost nails them as they try to pass.

Most of the residential streets here are wide enough on both sides for bikers and drivers to share the road alike. Some have bike lanes, some don't but the roads were made wide enough for safe travel of bikes and vehicles alike.



Today I was aggrivated at a truck that had more than half the back of his vehicle sticking out of the median when he pulled out to turn left. I had to slam the breaks.

And currently the YJ barely has a clutch, I have to keep pumping it at stop lights. I believe there are some bubbles in the slave cylinder. Drove it without the clutch today on wet road and leaves. I fishtailed quite a few times. Took it very easy coming home today.
Can't tell you how many times in the past I've ridden to the right of the lane and almost been "doored" by someone in a car parked along the curb who didn't check to see if there was a cyclist/car approaching before they open their car door. Riding to the right of a lane endangers a cyclist safety. Sorry, but if you're behind me on a two lane street I'm using my lane and anyone behind me can pass illegally or wait. If I'm on a multi-lane roadway I'm in the right lane next to the center line (same as the cop in the video).
__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl
 
Sarahdactyl's Avatar

Charlotte, North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 717 | Kudos: +36
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Can't tell you how many times in the past I've ridden to the right of the lane and almost been "doored" by someone in a car parked along the curb who didn't check to see if there was a cyclist/car approaching before they open their car door. Riding to the right of a lane endangers a cyclist safety. Sorry, but if you're behind me on a two lane street I'm using my lane and anyone behind me can pass illegally or wait. If I'm on a multi-lane roadway I'm in the right lane next to the center line (same as the cop in the video).
If you're in a multi-lane that's fine with me that you take the right lane to yourself considering how busy it must be. I don't mind passing into the left lane at all.

If there are is parallel parking or debris in your way or anything else that could cause to be in harms way (I understand the door thing, I have almost hit someone's door before they opened it right out in front of me lol!) or you just need to take a left turn then by all means you can take the lane, I have no problem.

However, here, in a single lane, if there the right is clear and there is nothing to put you into danger, you should move to the right side so people can pass SAFELY.

Here in NC while you shouldn't put yourself in harm or danger just to let someone pass, HOWEVER, you can not block the only single lane from the flow of traffic if you can move to the right safely. Here people can legally pass a bicyclist (not another motor vehicle) even on double lines IF they note that all traffic is clear and they can proceed safely.
__________________
Nothing is going to stop me unless it's Divine Intervention.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:37 PM  
fustrated genius
 
HiHood's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,054 | Kudos: +100
I take the center of the road when I ride my bike. Sometimes I ride on the left side, depending which side has less sandy spots. Of coarse, I'm usually the only one on the road too. Unless the local rancher has his cattle out or a coyote passes by. I do this because riding off the road is fun until you fall and land on some catus. Which brings me to my "what ticks me off on a regular basis" answer. Cacti stickers in my friggin tires . . . I HATE that!!
__________________
Phewy!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM  
Senior Member
 
Sideways's Avatar

Houston, Texas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 980 | Kudos: +33
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I take the center of the road when I ride my bike. Sometimes I ride on the left side, depending which side has less sandy spots. Of coarse, I'm usually the only one on the road too. Unless the local rancher has his cattle out or a coyote passes by. I do this because riding off the road is fun until you fall and land on some catus. Which brings me to my "what ticks me off on a regular basis" answer. Cacti stickers in my friggin tires . . . I HATE that!!
I feel the same way about broken glass (beer bottles) along the curb. I use residential streets A LOT. Ride a bike on a major street, especially during peak traffic hours, is asking for trouble.
__________________

__________________
"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal. Never forget that everything the Founding Fathers did was not." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.