Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
when it's bitterly cold

Today, Jan. 6, 2014, is the coldest day throughout the United States in 20 years. It's been below zero all day here in Cincinnati.
Of course, across the Internet are the ever-present holier-than-thou types complaining about how they had school when they grew up and it was bitterly, dangerously cold and it didn't faze them. AARRGGHH!
The winters of 1976-1977 and 1977-1978 were the two worst in Cincinnati history. I was a sophomore and junior, and my sister was an eighth-grader and freshman, those two years. Walking to the bus stop and waiting for the bus every day, coming and going to school, has had ongoing repercussions for both of us, even decades later.
We both suffer from SAD. My sister's fingertips got frostbitten and she has not had feelings in them since. I grew up thinking it was normal to have very cold hands, feet and ears for six months. It wasn't until I was out of college and working and driving a car to the office that I realized that being cold between November and April is NOT the norm!
Oh, and I was at my mom's house today. I couldn't have left if I wanted--my car is frozen and I can't get inside it! We tried several different types of spray (WD40 and a de-icer) and nothing helped. What was even scarier was that for the five minutes I was outside, my glasses froze! They steamed up and the steam froze on the lenses! I went inside and had to wait for the glass to thaw out. I was worried that the glass might crack!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
The warmer air is coming your way. We have been below zero for the last couple days in Missouri, but it's 20 this morning. supposed to hit 32 this afternoon. Hang in there, it will get better.
My 8 year old grandson is with me and I would not have let him go to school if they had school the last two days. It's just not safe.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 AM  
AZ Resident

Surprise, Arizona
For all of you in cold climates, understand we had it hard here too. On Monday for example, Minneapolis only had a 10 degree swing in temperature, from -21 to -11. In Buckeye, we went from 38 to 73. That is really hard on the system, you know, questions like "do i wear long sleeves, or just a jacket"?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
tires me out

The harsher-than-normal weather that North America is having in 2014 has gotten not only boring, but also exhausting. Everyone I know is tired. Wearing multiple layers of heavy clothing plus boots can be hard on the back and neck and legs. There have been days when I bet the combined weight comes to an extra 7 to 10 lbs.
How do you deal with the weariness?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads