Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM  
Traveler

Will Hurricane Irene be as bad as predicted?

There will be damage and I believe one death has already been recorded in NC so it is a serious situation worthy of attention.

And a 'new' story for the media--nothing more to really be said about Libya, until/unless Gadhafi is captured. Politics --in a lull. Status of economy--not good, nothing new. What else has happened this week? The earthquake damaged the Washington Monument. That was relatively minor news.

I would like to know if the work on the 911 site is in jeopardy--I heard cranes were being secured across NYC.

I would like to know which parts of NYC face the greatest potential danger.

This standing on a beach while wind/rain is blowing is not informative to me.

That is the way we do hurricanes, I know.

However severe--each and every governor is on record as having clearly issued a message to citizens on what they are expected to do and what the gorvernment will/can do.

Chris Christie--the most direct. 'Get off the beach, NOW.'

I hope it is less of a disaster than it might have been.

~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 AM  
fustrated genius

Yuck, I'll stay here in AZ were we just get a little warm here & there.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM  
Traveler

I tried to google--NYC evacuation maps. Since I am really not familiar with the geography of NYC it doesn't mean much to me.

No reports of mass exodus--I was expecting 'live coverage'--Fox just showed a few people packing their cars--not in an urgent rush. The mass transit authority is now shutting down.

Atlanta is well out of the range of hurricanes but I believe we would be in panic and the interstates would be gridlocked.
A tornado hit downtown Atlanta a few years ago--a skyscraper lost many windows --it took a long time to repair the damage.

In the same year we had a flood in the late fall. Schools were flooded and one school closed completely after this. So lives were disrupted.

Whatever the degree of damage --$$$$ will have to be spent to return to normal.

The death in NC was a result of a man who went out to check being hit by a tree branch.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
And a 'new' story for the media--nothing more to really be said about Libya, until/unless Gadhafi is captured. Politics --in a lull. Status of economy--not good, nothing new. What else has happened this week? The earthquake damaged the Washington Monument. That was relatively minor news.

I would like to know if the work on the 911 site is in jeopardy--I heard cranes were being secured across NYC.

This standing on a beach while wind/rain is blowing is not informative to me.

That is the way we do hurricanes, I know.
A week ago they said this hurricane was small and likely to stay relatively small. As the news cycle dimmed from lack of fodder the hurricane suddenly became the 21st Century "Long Island Express".

Maybe............

I hope I'm right and this one is a dud.

Quote:
The Battery, Coney Island and lower Wall Street.

Quote:
The death in NC was a result of a man who went out to check being hit by a tree branch.
poor guy died of curiosity rather than a killer hurricane.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:59 AM  
Traveler

thanks.

I agree.

I found NYC evacuation plans--'the buroughs' and a map --a large Key was placed over the map and that didn't help much.

Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, other areas that I 'sort of know'--Rockaway--mentioned in books---beach area.

The Holland Tunnel may flood. I hope they have addressed drainage issues effectively.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:43 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Ill let you know after 8PM tonight.

Thats when we are supposed to get the worst of it here in Hampton Roads.

Im already seeing lots of dumb damage (pine cones, branches etc) and a couple of broken trees here and there.

We still have yet to get the worst of it.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM  

Damn pine cones! I'll probably see that same pine cone on CNN later today!

I was just deployed by the Red Cross to ship out and help on the East Coast, but since all flights are cancelled until Monday, I am taking a "wait and see" attitude and might go out in a few days if needed.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:21 PM  
Traveler

92 seniors in a condo in Atlantic City will not leave. They have some good reasons--options offered couldn't provide for health issues and the uncertainty of where they would end up. I hope they were correct in this decision.

Seemed to be well stocked with food --and feisty.

When there is no power for several days--that would be a concern.

They now believe NYC will suffer infrastructure damage from the flooding. That will be a challenge.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:00 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Anyone experienced it yet? I know it's hitting now...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 AM  
Traveler

Around midnight Shephard Smith/Fox mentioned a spot of dry air in the center of the hurricane. 'We aren't talking about this--but we are'.

And then the drama went on until I turned the TV off--Geraldo, et al.

This AM---'After the storm passed over NC and VA--a pocket of dry air formed and with the colder waters, etc--the storm never regained strength in the eye--which explains why it became a tropical storm...we never know for certain.'

No back surge, attributed to pocket of dry air.

OK--great job media.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.