Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2011, 12:27 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by addymiller View Post

OK--great job media.
By KEVIN DOLAK, OLIVIA KATRANDJIAN and COLLEEN CURRY
Aug. 28, 2011
Irene made landfall in Coney Island, N.Y., at 8:45 a.m. this morning as a tropical storm with 65 mph winds, but by 10 a.m. patches of blue sky and sunshine began peeking through in lower Manhattan.

I've seen an ice storm cause worse damage. Hyped storm increases profits!

<yawn>

Still time for one or two more folks so don't take the plywood off the windows.

Next up after the hurricane season will be Snowzilla II.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Thank's Irene
We were cooking and heard a crack.
That branch in my back yard is about a foot and a half in diameter and fifty feet long.
Will Hurricane Irene be as bad as predicted?-i2.jpg 

Will Hurricane Irene be as bad as predicted?-i1.jpg 

Will Hurricane Irene be as bad as predicted?-i4.jpg 

Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
In my neck of the woods the storm did little to nothing except make a mess, kill power, and kill my cable/internet/phone.

Got all of my cleanup done, went to work (still no power there) and did what I could.
Came home and had power, now I have internet/cable again - all is right in my world.

I am a little pissed that I missed the fights last night. Oh well, the reruns that I will catch online will cost a helluva lot less
Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Thank's Irene
We were cooking and heard a crack.
What might the percentage of limbs lost to hurricanes versus lost to snow load be in Montreal? Having been tutored in the ferocity of hurricanes by Agnes that blue tarp on your jeep tells me you missed the meat.
If a tree falls in Canada can FEMA hear it?

LA Times:

In Irene's wake: Relief despite damage and deaths
Los Angeles Times -
As Hurricane Irene approached, spectacular satellite images encouraged some to fear the worst. But now, as the weakened storm moseys from New York into New England, you can't see a sigh of relief from outer space.

No, it encouraged NBC to do a two hour newscast Friday night and promising full on air coverage throughout Saturday. I never saw a sign of anything beyond regular programming.

We're onto you sleazeball weather infomercial types (all networks) so GTFO!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM  
Traveler

'It was bigger than Europe'.

A good trivia question for years to come. Which hurricane was 'bigger than Europe?'
Old 08-30-2011, 12:57 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Should the U.S. Get Rid of FEMA , as Ron Paul Suggests?

Quote:
With four months left in the year, President Obama has declared 66 major disasters alone, which puts him on pace to surpass the record of 81, which he set last year, says Matt Mayer, president of the Buckeye Institute for Public Policy Solutions, a conservative think-tank based in Ohio, which tracks such declarations. Previously, Clinton in 1996 and George W. Bush in 2008 tied for the record for major disaster declarations, which stood at 75.

This trend, says Mayer, shows a federalization of natural disasters, in which costs for damages are shifted from the state in which they occur to the rest of the states and taxpayers in each. "We are incenting mayors and governors to defund emergency management, and we're making FEMA an agency, as a routine, that has little time for the catastrophic," he says. "There's an enormous pressure for FEMA to prove that it's fixed what was not working during Katrina, so that's why there's this overhyping to jump the gun on that. For the president, he's looking at poll numbers, and he has to be seen as a leader and in charge. This was a good opportunity for him to do that, and he did."

In the days after Irene, which happened almost exactly six years after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf coast in 2005, several members of Congress, state governors, and the media?even some of the president's biggest critics, like New Jersey Republican Gov. Chris Christie*?praised both FEMA and the president for their preparedness this time around. "So far, FEMA has been very responsive," said Christie on the This Week program Sunday, adding to a comment he made last week that Obama "deserves great credit for the way FEMA operated in this storm."
Quote:
Though Irene is the most recent disaster to sweep through the country, only three eastern states and Puerto Rico make it on the list. Tornadoes and severe flooding throughout the South and Midwest earlier this year led to most of the declarations. It is important to note that since the size and scope of FEMA actions and federal funding that comes with each declaration differs considerably, this list may not fully represent which states suffered most, nor where the federal government devoted the most attention.
12 States and Territories with the Most Disaster Declarations in 2011 - US News and World Report
Will Hurricane Irene be as bad as predicted?-211.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Off Topic
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.