Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
Got the 78 CJ5, but no CCW. I do have a question about the transporting weapons thing though. So since I have a CJ, with obviously no trunk (would also be fitting with any SUV) how are you to transport a firearm? It is supposed to be inaccessible without getting out of the vehicle, but with a '5, I can almost reach anything from the driver's seat. I was always taught to pull the clip, leave the bolt open, and put the ammunition at opposite parts of the vehicle. Never knew you couldn't have a loaded magazine in the vehicle even if it wasn't in the rifle.
This is one of the main reasons why I got a CHL - so I don't have to worry about transportation issues. The reason being that cops are often just as confused about the rules as citizens, and even if it turns out that they are wrong and you were right, it's a hassle. Today, I had two rifles in a soft case the back seat, their loaded magazines and a loaded revolver in a zippered range bag on the seat next to me, and a loaded pistol holstered on my hip. The downside is that if I had been stopped, I would have been legally required to have disclosed all four weapons as "concealed carry", where I would not have been required to disclose any of them if I had been carrying them in accordance with the transport laws.

Quote:
(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.
(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
I would suggest #1 as the best approach in your CJ. Put the gun in a case, put the case in the back seat. Unload all magazines, put them and the ammunition in a range bag.

If for some reason you really wanted to keep loaded magazines in the vehicle, padlock each of the guns, and put the *keys* somewhere you can't get to from the driver's seat. You might have access to the locked guns, but they can't be put in usable condition without leaving the vehicle, obeying the spirit, if not the letter of the law. Of course, you're still setting yourself up to be hassled by an anti-gun cop, and an anti-gun prosecutor and anti-gun judge will nail you to the wall anyway... I am not a lawyer, I will not serve your jail sentence.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio
Bookmark this Page!