Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM  

Toledo, OH
Preparing for the snow....

What kind of snow throwers do you use for your Ohio winters? I'm looking at the Airens Snow machines for this duty, but I'm thinking it may be overkill.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 AM  

sharana, afghanistan
i dunno about up north but i know in southern ohio most of the snow is wet and mixed with ice so machines with high HP are needed

Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 AM  

Fleming, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnemovr View Post
i dunno about up north but i know in southern ohio most of the snow is wet and mixed with ice so machines with high HP are needed
What part of Southern Ohio requires a snow blower? One year you won't use it, and the next you use it maybe 5 times max. Just shovel it...much cheaper in the long run.

Up North, some years it is a daily thing with the snow. It snows in November and you don't see the ground until April in most years.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM  

Bryan, Ohio
I'm up north and usually I just use a leaf blower if it's a dry snow.( it works fairly well on wet snow too if you stay on top of it) For wet snow I use a shovel every couple of hours. I know this really doesn't answer your question but I truley believe if I buy a snow blower I'd only use it every other year or so.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Snow is finally on the forecast! Woot!

Cleaned up the snowblower, made plans to put the snow tires on Her car. Had them for the first time last year, couldn't believe the difference they made.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 PM  

sharana, afghanistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
What part of Southern Ohio requires a snow blower? One year you won't use it, and the next you use it maybe 5 times max. Just shovel it...much cheaper in the long run.

Up North, some years it is a daily thing with the snow. It snows in November and you don't see the ground until April in most years.
before i moved out i was living with my grandparents. due to their age they could not use a shovle. i usally kept up with it so they wouldnt have too. but due to my last few jobs i was working too much to do it for them. so they got a small one that wouldnt work with wet snow of more than 12"
Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 AM  

Massillon, Ohio
I use the old fashion type, wooden handle, metal scoop.....yeah by hand. Just cannot justify spending the money on one. A few of my neighbors have them, and I see them using them maybe twice a year.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:21 AM  

Stow, Ohio
A few years back I bought a middle of the price range Craftsmen snow blower from Sears. The Craftsmen name has been around a long while and Sears is really good at replacing any damaged or broken Craftsmen tools.

I believe my snowblower is a single stage - that means it doesn't have the secondary auger type of mechanism to get at the real heavy stuff. I've never had any issues with it and it handles snow up to about 12 inches.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM  

Lansing, Michigan
Mid Mich still just brown. So I have to make snow at work so we can start skiing. YUCK
Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 AM  
One of 2733

Hudson, Ohio
I've got 2 full size Ariens snow blowers cause I'm that awesome. I believe Ariens and John Deere are the only snow blowers made of entirely metal these days, but even the new ones aren't as good as the old blowers. I wouldn't buy a singlestage 2 cycle snow blower, I've had 7 or 8 of the toro style and they are garbage, they're not worth your money, the last 2 I had I sold for $10 each.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio
Bookmark this Page!