Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nebraska > Omaha / Council Bluffs
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2010, 03:22 PM  

Omaha, Nebraska
LaVista

A burb' of Omaha.

If you can Live outside of Iowa and drive into Omaha DO IT. Property taxes are high and house prices are high in Nebraska, no matter where you go. Avoid Douglas county if you have to live in the Omaha area. They have even higher taxes and some crazy laws. Sarpy county is best IMO. They allow apartment complexes to have grills and you don't have to register your handguns.... that made me sound like a big hick.. haha. Owell.. Lavista is a quiet place and police patrol OFTEN. Close to LaVista is Papillion, NE, which I believe was Top 5 places to live off CNN deally.

Ive lived in the southwest Iowa and south east Nebraska area for a good 16 years. I can give you a good insight about the area if it's needed

Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM  
Moderated

OMAHA, NEBRASKA
Are you ready for the mayor's tax if you live in Iowa and work in Omaha?
What is that guy thinking?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM  

Cody Wy, wyoming
Doesn't La Vista have a Cabelas to?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM  

Papillion, Nebraska
La Vista does indeed have a Cabellas.

I agree with the OP, Sarpy County is where it's at. When I lived in Douglas County, it would take several hours to get your drivers license renewed, now that I live in Sarpy, I'm in and out in 10 minutes.

The new wheel tax is ridiculous and, in my opinion, illegal. Wasn't the Boston tea party started because of taxation without representation? I'm with the rest who are going to not buy anything in Omaha to try to recoup some of that tax. I hope enough people join in so it hurts Omaha.... bad!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM  

Omaha, Nebraska
Yes we have a cabelas... its a nice store at that. Also got some great deals there compared to the local gun and camping shops around the omaha metro.

Omaha is tax central but people just love it there and will complain and not do anything about it... no idea why lol. Omaha is broke as a town. This winter is going to hurt the area from what I have been reading about the upcoming winter patterns. cold cold and snowwwwy.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM  

Papillion, Nebraska
Good thing my Jeep is fixed. Last year I found out my transfer case was broke and wouldn't go into four wheel drive.

This year should be fun.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM  

Omaha, ne
Well gents, sorry to be the voice of dissent, but I live right in the middle of Omaha proper - and I love it! Couldn't be happier!

I could list all kinds of reasons why it is GREAT to be living where I live, but most people would choose to not believe me anyway.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 PM  

Omaha, Ne
I live right outside the city limits by cunningham lake but its still in douglas county. I want to move to Iowa maybe close to Mo valley because its not too far from where i work. Man i hate the taxes here.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 AM  

Omaha, ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkice View Post
I live right outside the city limits by cunningham lake but its still in douglas county. I want to move to Iowa maybe close to Mo valley because its not too far from where i work. Man i hate the taxes here.
Weirdly enough, the property tax rate varies by Omaha location. Even so, property taxes here are nothing compared to a lot of places. I've got family in Minneapolis, and on a house he bought for less than I paid for mine, he's paying $1,200 per year MORE in property tax.

But yeah, if you find a nice little place near Mo Valley (which could be a little tough, since lots of people are looking for the exact same thing), your cost of living will be lower.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 PM  

Bellevue, NE
I've lived in both Douglas and Sarpy counties and each have their places in my heart but the new Omaha restaurant and wheel taxes are sending my money to Sarpy. I still go to Iowa to buy my gas tho! :-)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nebraska > Omaha / Council Bluffs
Bookmark this Page!