Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nebraska > Omaha / Council Bluffs
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM  
A4C

Omaha, Nebraska
I have strong feelings both ways on this topic, on the one hand I can't stand Suttle and believe that resorting to tax cuts first rather than finding a viable solution and then on top of it blaming the people for the issues and not taking responsibility that a mayor should doesn't look good for him.

I want him out the restaurant is down right illegal tax on a tax, even though they are getting away with it by calling it a fee.

I think that it will be costly for a recall and I can understand the concerns that Omaha should have with that, but what happens when something else similar to the OFD and OPD issues comes again? What other taxes will we have to pay to resolve it?

Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 PM  

Omaha, NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I'm not sure they'll get that many "No" votes in 1 day.

But... We shall see!
The other side of the coin is how many people will go out of their way to go to a polling place and vote to keep him. Generally the people that are mad about something are more likely to go vote than the ones OK with the status quo.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 AM  

Omaha, ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
The other side of the coin is how many people will go out of their way to go to a polling place and vote to keep him. Generally the people that are mad about something are more likely to go vote than the ones OK with the status quo.
That's a good point - and very true. People who are POd do most of the voting.

I will say, though, that this whole recall thing has really angered and upset a lot of the "formerly status quo" people. I'm one of them. I'm not a big Suttle fan, and didn't vote for him 2 years ago. However, I will be voting for him in the recall election.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:32 PM  
Moderated

OMAHA, NEBRASKA
Recalling him wont fix anything. I didn't vote for him, but getting rid of him will just cost us more money.
Better to just ride it out and see what the next mayor can achieve.
This won't be fixed with just one election or in one term.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:49 PM  

Papillion, Nebraska
I support the recall effort and hope he gets thrown out on his butt.

I normally couldn't care less what Omaha does, but when you start illegally taxing me, who don't even live in your city, I get pissed.

Come on, Omaha. What did you expect was going to happen when you elected another Democrat? Tax and spend, tax and spend, it's all they know.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 AM  

Omaha, ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemasonJeeper View Post
I support the recall effort and hope he gets thrown out on his butt.

I normally couldn't care less what Omaha does, but when you start illegally taxing me, who don't even live in your city, I get pissed.

Come on, Omaha. What did you expect was going to happen when you elected another Democrat? Tax and spend, tax and spend, it's all they know.
I haven't heard lately, but has that "tax" or "fee" - or whatever we want to call it - held up in court?

Regardless of our opinions on it, I'm curious to know its actually legality. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:11 PM  
Moderated

OMAHA, NEBRASKA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I haven't heard lately, but has that "tax" or "fee" - or whatever we want to call it - held up in court?
We're paying it so someone is collecting it. Legal or not it's money out of my pocket and into someone else's. It's another viscious circle.

Wheel Tax doesn't appear to be fixing much in the way of roads so maybe the restaurant tax will fix me a sammich?
Old 12-19-2010, 05:33 AM  

Omaha, ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMMOTH View Post
We're paying it so someone is collecting it. Legal or not it's money out of my pocket and into someone else's. It's another viscious circle.

Wheel Tax doesn't appear to be fixing much in the way of roads so maybe the restaurant tax will fix me a sammich?
I'll fix ya a sammich alright!

It really is frustrating to me that the only answer Democrats ever seem to have, regarding financial problems, is to raise taxes. But when I look at Omaha's financial problems (which are nowhere near as bad as most metro areas across the USA), I keep coming back to the fact that Suttle had this mess thrown in his lap by Fahey. Yeah, Suttle was on the City Council, but that doesn't put him in the middle of "making" the mess.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:04 AM  
JCF

It is not like I am in favor of new taxes, but come on people. If you don't like the restaurant tax, don't go out to eat. It is a luxury, not a right. Omaha had a severe budget gap which had to be balanced. You can't just keep cutting programs and downsizing the police and fire departments to make up the difference. Goverment provides services, which need to be paid for. Is it our fault that the roads are so screwed up from ice and sand and snow that the need to be repaired every other year? No, but how is it the city's fault. We live here, we pay for it.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 PM  

Omaha, ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF View Post
It is not like I am in favor of new taxes, but come on people. If you don't like the restaurant tax, don't go out to eat. It is a luxury, not a right.
To be honest, I don't really mind the restaurant tax. I don't really like it, but I don't mind it. It doesn't make me angry.

The reason is because - as you said - it really is optional. It's a luxury tax of sorts. It's not as though it's an additional tax on all groceries, or some other necessity. If you feel you can't afford the restaurant tax, just eat at home.

One thing I wish would happen (though we all know it won't) is to see additional taxes eliminated once the budget shortfalls are taken care of. Unfortunately, once a government institutes a tax, they never let go of it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Nebraska > Omaha / Council Bluffs
Bookmark this Page!