Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 02:47 PM  

Albany, OR
Local boys = Best lunch in town... without question!!!

Also beware of hords of college go-ers every friday/saturday night on most main streets

Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM  

Corvallis, Oregon
I am looking to move toward the Philomath area on 20, looks like it might be easier to get to Oregon State from there. Not 100% sure yet. Since I don't know the area, I am still researching. Thanks for everyone's input so far, keep it coming.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:15 PM  

Corvallis, Oregon
I would advise against living in philomath while going to Oregon State. Parking in and around OSU is almost impossible- all the free parking is 2hr only, and usually taken, and student parking is very limited and decreasing quickly. It is usually not too difficult or expensive to get an apartment near campus either.

I agree with everything everyone else said about the places in town.

For coffee, Interzone has the best baristas, Sam's Station roasts their own beans and has excellent customer service, and The Beanery has awesome clientele and plenty of culture.

Bombs Away == Awesome bar, good mixed drinks and beers, free live music almost every night.
Block 15 == Amazing as well, was there last night. Their house brews are AMAZING and really cheap too.

As for other activities, there is always Highland Bowl on 9th street. On monday nights, games are $1.50. They have an awesome mom & pop feel, and they don't skimp on the oil.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 PM  

Corvallis, Oregon
Problem is, I can't live in an apartment because I have a 130 pound rottweiler. I am going to have trouble finding a house to rent and am thinking about buying a second house there.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 PM  

Salem, OR
Another +++ for Block 15. Also, Mary's Peak is a short drive away and has some great (easy) hikes.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 PM  

Salem, OR
Also! They have a great homebrew store over on 4th street I think! They have a great selection of a variety of beer styles and they're super nice guys.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 PM  

Portland, Oregon
Joel at Corvallis homebrew supply is a great guy. Very helpful and reasonable prices. I like his shop better than any other, it's just a long trip for me.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:45 PM  

Corvallis, OR
<~was living in Corvallis in the '70's and '80's, was a great place back then. Folks weren't so uptight, there were several excellent restaurants, taverns and bars, the Slackwater Drift, but it seems the city councils over the years began to narrowly focus on the university at the expense of being firendly to local business and other issues. Was living in Coos Bay myself for about 6 years, used to drive for Porter Stage Lines. I really liked Coos Bay, but had to move back to Corvallis as my Dad and later my Brother fell sick.
Not much to do around here save for going to the taverns and bars (Squirrel's and Peacock) We did finally get a good italian restaurant here (Pasitini's) but knowing this town it won't last. Togo's still has a venue up here and we now have a Market of Choice that'll be the bane of mom and pop stores like Richey's Market amongst others.
All the best
Gus
Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM  

Oregon
-Block 15 in has good food and great beer.
-If your under 21, DO NOT WALK AROUND DRUNK OR WITH AN OPEN CONTAINER THE COPS WILL FIND YOU.
-There are usually a lot of college kids looking for roomates who are renting a house so you should be able to find someone who wont mind the dog. If you can find someplace within walking distance to campus you will be glad you did. Parking is a pain and super expensive.
-Claudfelters on 16th and Monroe has a good atmospher, not to many local druggies hang out there.

Enjoy your stay and do not leave anything of value in your car, it will be stolen.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 PM  

Corvallis, Oregon
I guess I should include a little more about me. I am 33 with a wife, dog, chinchilla and some fish. We are looking to rent if we can find the right house in the right area and buy if we have to. We will be renting out this house in Coos Bay when we move. I have everything I need for school paid for, price of parking passes is not the issue, sounds like parking is. Also, I need to get something smaller than my 2500HD crew cab for school.

What are the areas to avoid housing wise? I appreciate all input from everyone, thank you very much. I am excited about going to Oregon State and graduating, but not the move. If all goes well, I am about 5 years away from my Pharm.D.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Bookmark this Page!