Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 AM  

Grants Pass is for the birds

Hello my name is Jerrad, I live in Grants Pass Oregon, its a beautiful town in southern oregon where the Rogue River flows freely and wild. Lately W'eve been noticing an influx in wild game birds, Turkey, large Geese etc and I was wondering if this is normal for the area or if it is due to some other causes like weather in other parts of the country. ??

Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Nice country down your way. As far as the birds I'd be looking at the recent warm California waters that are driving several populations North. Our coast is playing host to species rarely if ever seen in Oregon. Gamebirds are probably affected too like the CA brown pelicans we've been seeing.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 AM  

I live right on the Rogue and see lots of geese and ducks all winter, and a couple of Great Blue Herons hung out across from me for a few months too. Late last fall I saw a large white heron/crane/egret of some sort. I don't know if that is rare or not.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM  

Coquille, Oregon
We are the new species in the area. I have seen Pelicans and wild life including pheasants on or close to the beach for over thirty five years. Ducks and geese by the tens of thousands. Hawks and osprey, eagles of two varieties, falcons, owl’s n finches. It is a long list.
Although I live out of town, I see it all from time to time. Including- Elk, deer, bear, coyote, bob cat, and even a mountain lion walking the road in to the house one evening a few years back. Remember - This is Oregon
We are trespassing - with all of our sprawl.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I have seen Pelicans and wild life including pheasants on or close to the beach for over thirty five years. Ducks and geese by the tens of thousands. Hawks and osprey, eagles of two varieties, falcons, owl?s n finches. It is a long list.
In "59" we moved to PA. I saw pheasants every day. On the PA Turnpike the grassy middle area always had pheasants to watch and/or dodge as they landed.

By the end of the 70's they were all gone. Not moved but GONE. I don't know why. While driving across NDAK I stayed at a B&B and discovered NDAK is a birders paradise but shocked to discover they shoot cranes there.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Bookmark this Page!