Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2010, 12:35 PM  

Sacramento, California
Grants Pass, Pros & Cons?

My wife and I hope to move to the Grants Pass area soon. We've spent time there and really like the place. It will be where we retire and we think we have found our last outpost. We plan to live a bit outside of town.

So, are there any negatives we should know about?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:41 PM  

Sacramento, California
Nobody?

10 char.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:37 PM  

Salem, OR
I don't live in Grants Pass but do spend quite a bit of time in the area. I like the people and the climate is a bit milder than the Willamette Valley where I live. I don't have much negative to offer but would advise you to be very careful where you buy out of town because fire danger in those hills is considerable and frequent. Summers tend to be very dry.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:20 PM  

Sacramento, California
Good to know, we'll keep that in mind. Thanks very much Bigger.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:51 PM  

Corvallis, Oregon
Have you looked at the coast? I love it here in Coos Bay, moved here from Lincoln, CA. I also really like Newport. The fact that it is the home of Rogue doesn't hurt. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I have family in Cave Junction, outside of Grants Pass, and the area is nice, but just not for me. Look into Corvallis/Albany too.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:17 PM  

Sacramento, California
Thanks for the info. The coast is just too foggy and gray for us. But G.P. or somewhere close would allow us to drive to the coast in short order.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM  

Portland, Oregon
Grants pass is ok, there is enough there to keep most people satisfied. Medford is close enough to do anything else.

I actually live on the coast right now, so I am over that way quite a bit when I need, well, just about anything a fred myer doesn't carry since that's all we get here.

The roque river is flipping fabulous, especially on that end. If you like outdoors, the parks and wilderness areas are very fun. If you like exploring you will spend every weekend of the rest of your life driving the backroads in the BLM and forestry and park lands.

Then there is Kalmiopsis wilderness which has a few 2000ft prom peaks if your into hiking.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM  

Portland, Oregon
A note about the coast. yes it is foggy, but I live about 800ft elevation and 10 minutes off the coast and get easily 10 degrees warmer days in the spring and fall, and are above the fog more often than not, so something to think about if the fog is your only complaint. look for a place up a river, or up a hill.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:19 PM  

Medford, Oregon
If your looking for negatives you'll most likely find them in any place you look. Grants Pass is a decent town, the people are friendly and theres allot to do there, for a town of about 30,000 they have more there than they do in Medford. The climate is good and the air is clean, what more could you ask for. I grew up in GP in the 60's I now live in Medford, but hey, I'd move back to GP in a heart beat if the wife would agree to it.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:46 PM  

Sacramento, California
I think we're pretty much set on Grants Pass at this point. We had hoped to buy originally, but it looks like we'll have to rent for a year or two.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here, I really appreciate your information and advice.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Bookmark this Page!