Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
Who lives in the:hottest, coldest, cloudiest, wettest, driest ect part of the state

I just thought it might be fun for us to see who lives in the driest, wettest, cloudiest, sunniest, coldest or hottest part of the state. We are a big state, bigger than some countries and we have a very varied climate. Why do you like to live where you live?

Well, I'll start, Astoria is the Cloudiest city in the U.S. It has more cloudy days per year than any other place in this Country. So why do I live here? Well the snow is on Saddle Mountain and not in my yard right now. But really, it is a place with mountains all around us and the river and Youngs Bay are ever changing. Looking out my living room window I see the fishing boats coming and going day and night, that just can't be beat. And yes, I like the smell of the salt air and I like listening to the surf while laying in bed at night. For me, I wish it was warmer and sunnier, but I love living in the cloudiest part of our great state.

Where do you love living, wet, dry, hot, cold???

Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 AM  

Eugene, Oregon
Its wet here.

But the summer is worth it

Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 PM  

Oregon
wet here in Coos Bay. chanterelles came out in july this year. didn't have summer 'til october, only lasted a week or so.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM  

Tillamook, OR
wet here most of the time nice today but cold
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrymonkey View Post
Its wet here.

But the summer is worth it
I'm here 6 years now and I'm learning the weather patterns. Last year it rained from January through August but the wines were terrific because of a sunny & warm October.
Don't be put off by nine months of rain because the rain brings mild temps to the Willamette Valley.

Last year we had our normal cold Christmas & New Year but the chill disappeared by the 11th of January.The final 6 days of January are forecasted to be in the fifties days and above freezing at night. Having three mild weeks of January never happened in MN, WI or PA.
99% of the rain is misty stuff we barely notice. A baseball cap or a hoodie are Oregon rain gear.
My "heating season" was 3 days in December and one in January. I wouldn't camp this early because a wind can drive the damp Oregon chill through to your bones. Even camping near the Pacific N. of Newport in May was a chilly wet business.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Googled "wettest and got;

Most Rainfall
Nine major weather stations in the contiguous 48 states receive an average of over 60 inches (1524 millimetres) of precipitation a year: Location Inches
Mt. Washington, New Hampshire 101.9
Quillayute, Washington 101.7
Astoria, Oregon 67.1
Mobile, Alabama 66.3
Pensacola, Florida 64.3
New Orleans, Louisiana 64.2
Tallahassee, Florida 63.2
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 63.1
West Palm Beach, Florida 61.4

There's a tiny place on the RR track along the Cascades where it supposedly rained 363 days one year and the claimant said, "the other two days were overcast".
Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Regional Comparisons

Location # of clear days per year * # of cloudy days per year # of days with .01 inch of rain or more**
Portland Area 68 days 222 days 151 days
Olympia, WA 52 days 229 days 162 days
Pendleton, OR 101 days 173 days 98 days
Burns, OR 123 days 151 days 92 days
Medford, OR 118 days 169 days 101 days
Reno, Nevada 158 days 114 days 50 days
Sacramento, California 189 days 101 days 58 days
Las Vegas, Nevada 210 days 73 days 26 days

* The definition of "Clear" as measured by the Weather Service is set against a scale of 10, and any day with 0 to 3 cloudiness is rated as "clear." Secondly, of note for Astronomers is the fact that cloudiness is a daytime-only value, and thus does NOT deal with the fact that quite often a sunny Portland afternoon is followed by the formation of "low clouds" within a few hours of sunset, thus nixing out any astronomy!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:08 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Regional Comparisons

Location # of clear days per year * # of cloudy days per year # of days with .01 inch of rain or more**
Portland Area 68 days 222 days 151 days
Olympia, WA 52 days 229 days 162 days
Pendleton, OR 101 days 173 days 98 days
Burns, OR 123 days 151 days 92 days
Medford, OR 118 days 169 days 101 days
Reno, Nevada 158 days 114 days 50 days
Sacramento, California 189 days 101 days 58 days
Las Vegas, Nevada 210 days 73 days 26 days

* The definition of "Clear" as measured by the Weather Service is set against a scale of 10, and any day with 0 to 3 cloudiness is rated as "clear." Secondly, of note for Astronomers is the fact that cloudiness is a daytime-only value, and thus does NOT deal with the fact that quite often a sunny Portland afternoon is followed by the formation of "low clouds" within a few hours of sunset, thus nixing out any astronomy!
Strange, if you check this site ( Interesting United States Weather Facts and Extremes) you find Astoria is number one on the cloudiest and number three on the rainiest list. So I'm not giving up bragging rights just yet.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
you find Astoria is number one on the cloudiest and number three on the rainiest list. So I'm not giving up bragging rights just yet.
I'd agree based on the poor embattled Portland weather folks. Being half Norwegian I'm impressed. I knew we were cold & snow proof but Astorians must have gills.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:48 PM  

Warrenton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I'd agree based on the poor embattled Portland weather folks. Being half Norwegian I'm impressed. I knew we were cold & snow proof but Astorians must have gills.
Snorkels, we use snorkels and we all suffer from vitamin D deficiency but we love it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Oregon
Bookmark this Page!