Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Orlando
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2010, 07:10 PM  

Titusville, FL
I just bought my first kayaks

My wife and I made the plunge and just bought two Tarpon 100's. We live just minutes from the Indian River, and a short drive to the Mosquito Lagoon. Just today we took them out for only the second time.

Can anybody recommend some fun, free, novice places to paddle in the Orlando area?

Thanks

Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM  

Vero Beach, Florida
Try checking Sanford and the St Johns River. If you want to go to some clear water try the Gainesville area. Also humbly suggest you and your wife practice recovering from overturned yaks. We just lost a man down here last week from an overturned kayak on the Indian River.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 PM  

Titusville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Try checking Sanford and the St Johns River. If you want to go to some clear water try the Gainesville area. Also humbly suggest you and your wife practice recovering from overturned yaks. We just lost a man down here last week from an overturned kayak on the Indian River.
Was he in a sit in or SOT kayak? Very sad to hear about what happened to him.

So far we've not tried. We have SOT yaks and eventually plan to do some snorkel (and maybe dive) with them in tow in the Keys. Recovering a SOT seems straight forward enough. This will be something we will definitely work on. The Indian River is so shallow you can pretty much stand up anywhere that isn't a channel...which would make for good practice.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:30 AM  

Space Coast, FL
Rock Springs Ridge is a nice area.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 PM  

Orlando, Florida
Rock springs and the Wekiva are great!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM  

Sanford, Florida
I second the Wekiva River. Its fun to dump them in and paddle up to the springs. Another neat place is the Econolatchee in Oviedo.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM  

wekiva is a lot of fun, try the maitland chain of lakes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM  

Orlando, Florida
I just picked up a two person sit-on fishing kayak at the surf expo for $300 brand new. I still need to take that joker out; of course right after I get it my Jeep breaks down.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:32 PM  

darien, ga
Congrats on the yaks, I've got a tarpon 160 set up for fishing... I hear you can slay huge trout in the lagoon this time of year. I've found kayaks to be ideal for sneaking up on spooky fish. As far as good paddle trips, man you've got so many options. My favorite in Fl is the ten thousand islands area in the glades. Just epic. Great for day trips through multi day expeditions.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 AM  

Winter Park, Florida
Wekiva River, the northern part of Econlockhatchee river and further away but worth the trip Silver River.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Orlando
Bookmark this Page!