Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
First I need to thank you and Chris (I know it's a game) for your help. I didn't ask before because I don't have a safe place to practice but this information is precious.

Laser bore sighter? Rentable or must be purchased or borrowed?

Quote:
As far as the rifle goes, particularly of the 338 Win. Mag. caliber, is to first get the felt recoil reduced as much as possible.

In my case that can't be too low. I have bony shoulders. First time I fired a shotgun I almost punched the weapon out of reflex.Years and years of no recoil .22's had left me unprepared.

A good timed thread on muzzel brake for this caliber is a must for long range repeatable accuracy. A proper timed muzzel brake should reduce felt recoil up to 50% or so. I use an Elite Iron brake. With the #9 contour Krieger Barrel on my target rifle I'm able to use a 5/8" X 24 TPI threaded brake. Most factory barrels will take a 9/16" threaded brake. I have a 9/16 timed brake on sporterized 03A3 which works quite well. Setting your rifle up for either size of these type of brakes will require a good gunsmith.

and money

a custom fit Pachmyer 1" thick Decel pad.
noted

A lighter trigger that has little to no creep or travel and breaks like glass IMO is a must. I use a Jewell trigger with just under 1-1/2 lbs. pull weight. For your rifle you will have to get a Timney trigger or equivilant as I dont believe that Jewell makes a trigger for the Browning.

For reaching out to 1000 yards and beyond a +20 moa picatinny rail mount will more than likely be required. Also a good set of solid scope rings such as the Badger Ordance offerings.
noted

I shoot as much as possible in prone position for the long shots using a Harris BRS model bipod. Shooting off a bipod is going to give you the most repeatable consistancy shot after shot.
also noted but would $35 Uncle Mike suffice?

Oh, also barrel heat is going to be an issue because as the barrel heats up after several rounds down the pipe the POI of the rifle is going to change up.
The larger diameter or "bull" barrels are made for this reason as heat has little to no effect on them. You'll have to let the barrel cool down after a few rounds with a factory barrel to keep from experienceing this.

Good to know but not surprising. I spent a day cleaning cosmoline out of an SKS only to discover a hot barrel did a far better job. I won't have a problem letting it cool.

on a forum called the Snipers Hide. They have quite an extensive series of instructional videos regarding long range precision shooting that have helped alot of folks get into this endevour.
dialup & vids mix poorly but I have lots of time to study this for my own needs I never intended hunting but then I never intended this recession and a fixed income.

My original intention was to add a fine tool to my collection. The use was no more than the satisfaction in seeing some very far away explode into dust (pop never knew where those poker chips went) <s>

I don't need competition, I'm old but when I wasn't I had no competition to equal me so that's long since out of my system.

For now I just need to poke around some sites like the Sniper's Hide and see what my options are. For one thing my scope is insane for hunting unless the Oregon elk go to cloaking mode during the season.

Many questions but it's Summer and I hate heat so I have time for research.

Again gentlemen, my sincere thanks.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
Chris is my name Duke Nukem is a game. lol

Just buy a good bore sight, you can find good ones on amazon fairly cheap. Just don't get
on of the ones that you have to chamber.

I would recommend one like this Amazon.com: Bushnell Laser Boresighter: Sports & Outdoors

It come with different sized adapters to fit whatever size bore you have which is a big plus
because you can you it on multiple firearms.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:12 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Forgot the trigger:

Quote:
For your rifle you will have to get a Timney trigger or equivilant as I dont believe that Jewell makes a trigger for the Browning.
I smithed the trigger springs on my Berettas but I'm guessing I won't be doing that to a rifle trigger?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Now heres what I really think and would recomend.

That Browning rifle is a real nice hunting rifle you have there and before I would consider "butchering" it up to make it function properly for a long range shooter I would look into a different rifle to start this journey with.

I would start with a rifle in .308 Winchester. I say this for several reasons.

Your going to need to get alot of practice and trigger time to become proficient at this and if your not into reloading it's going to cost you alot of $$$ buying ammunition for that .338 Win. Mag. Also, as far as I know, theres no factroy target ammunition made for this caliber. .308 Win. target ammunition is readily available most places in Federal, Black Hills, and several other brands at considerably less $$$ than 338 Win Mag hunting ammo. Reloading componets in this caliber are also more readily available and due to it's populairty less $$$ as well.

Havn't looked into it but I bet the barrel life with the .338 Win. Mag. will be short as well. Probably similar to the life of the 300 Win. Mag. I am currently shooting. Barrel life for .308 Win is pretty darn good at about 7500 rounds or so before you would want to replace the barrel.

Recoil with the .308 Win. is managable without using a muzzel brake. Also, muzzel brakes dramatically increase the muzzel blast noise which some don't like.

If you look around you'll usually find in a short time that theres quite a few good used 308 Win. target type rifles for the long range endevour already set up out there (usually less scope) for good prices. I seen them recently as low as + /- $2500.00 range which when you add up the costs of having an existing rifle done up is a good price.

Just my 2 cents here.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:25 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Shooting taught me about nature and gave me reasons to spend my days in the woods. Moving West added the colors and shapes of driftwood to my interests. I think I'm a wood nut but I can't wrap my head around synthetics. On the other hand at my age I'm going to have some trouble lugging this cannon 1000 yards & back at it's present weight.
Finally put the 100th Round Through-053.jpg 

Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
Almost everything you said I said. lol
Great minds think alike! Also I didn't read your reply
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Glad to meet you Chris. I used to see your handle all over 4chan before I learned it was a game and there were probably a few people using the name.

This is perfect if you think it adequate. It does look like something one chambers though?

Quote:
Bushnell Laser Boresighter
by Bushnell
3.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (241 customer reviews) | Like (31)
List Price: $43.95
Price: $26.90 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
A gun part I can actually afford these days!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:39 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNukemYJ View Post
Yeah I can barely grab a bolt with just my pinky finger without a mod like that. I need to get it done.
My friend the trauma surgeon has never seen my hands. It makes some of them giddy because they work in very tiny places with very sharp tools.

I looked at Music's paw attached to that arm he stole from Thor and hope he stays friendly or grows old & slow fast. We need a picture of Karras knocking out the horse.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Shooting taught me about nature and gave me reasons to spend my days in the woods. Moving West added the colors and shapes of driftwood to my interests. I think I'm a wood nut but I can't wrap my head around synthetics. On the other hand at my age I'm going to have some trouble lugging this cannon 1000 yards & back at it's present weight.
Fiberglass stocks are pretty much what is used in this shooting style due to their stability in changing weather conditions and durability in the enviorment we shoot them in. Synthetic not necessary to use though.

This target rifle of mine weighs 17 lbs. 1 oz. exact with the scope. If you end up using your Browning here to build into a long range rifle the final weight of it will probably be near as much or possibly more than mine. I reccomend a biathalon sling for these weighty rifles if your hoofing it long distance.

I am using a Premier Reticles Heritage 5-25X56mm scope with a Gen 2 XR reticle.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Forgot the trigger:

I smithed the trigger springs on my Berettas but I'm guessing I won't be doing that to a rifle trigger?
Probably not and I don't recomend it. Also with the Jewell trigger going down to 1 lb. is safe with it, however, you probably will not be able to go as light in trigger pull weight with other brands of triggers and be safe. The Jewell design trigger is unique to other triggers out there and as far as I know they only make them for Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Outdoor Recreation
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.