Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM  

Corning, NY, NY
Cowanesque and Ives Run are decent spots. Good for kids, and good hikes, little towns with good restaurants nearby.

Cowanesque Lake, Pennsylvania

Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM  

Indiana, PA
Only place I've ever really camped is Wolf's camping resort in Knox. I think it's a pretty nice park. Decent size, nice pool for the kids, and plenty of friendly people.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM  

Harrisburg, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearman42 View Post
Worlds End State Park near Forksville, PA
Couldn't agree more here... My family has cabins in Hillsgrove and Estella (right outside of Forksville). I love that area.

Can't wait to get up there this year again.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 AM  

Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Counsel Cup Camp Ground in Wapwallopen, PA is a private camp ground about 2 hours north of Philadelphia near Berwick. They have everything from RV to primitive campsites.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM  

Lititz, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearman42 View Post
Worlds End State Park near Forksville, PA
Great suggestion - Sullivan county is beautiful.

Also Rickett's Glen good suggestion.

Even though we have a camp/cabin/2nd home in Perry County, I still like to go out camping in the Tuscarora State Forest from time to time. There are various campsites throughout the State Forest - some are on roads that are gated other than hunting season, but some you can get to all the time.

They are rustic sites, but it's cool to get out there and the TSF is nice, in my opinion. Some well marked hiking trails, good hunting, etc. If you want to get way up in the forest check out Bower Mt Road. Laurel Run Rd. also good one with a few camp sites and the Hemlock forest/natural area (with a real old stand of hemlocks with some nice hiking trails through them) is real close by.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 AM  

Perkasie, Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringBrewer View Post
Great suggestion - Sullivan county is beautiful.

Also Rickett's Glen good suggestion.

Even though we have a camp/cabin/2nd home in Perry County, I still like to go out camping in the Tuscarora State Forest from time to time. There are various campsites throughout the State Forest - some are on roads that are gated other than hunting season, but some you can get to all the time.

They are rustic sites, but it's cool to get out there and the TSF is nice, in my opinion. Some well marked hiking trails, good hunting, etc. If you want to get way up in the forest check out Bower Mt Road. Laurel Run Rd. also good one with a few camp sites and the Hemlock forest/natural area (with a real old stand of hemlocks with some nice hiking trails through them) is real close by.
If you get a chance to check out Counselcup Campground do so. They have over 400 acres and everything from RV to extreme primitive sites. They had old logging roads done 2 or 3 years ago so you can actually go deep into the woods (need a good vehicle for some of these roads) to camp. Terry and Shirley are the owners. Nice people...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM  

Tossing in my 2 cents.

We only visit state parks because I go camping to get away from people and we don't want to be parked right next to someone (as if we were at a parking lot). Sometimes state parks are like that, but generally there is some nice space in between sites. Our favorite parks are:

Hickory Run State Park - Great all around park. Nice clean lake for swimming that you can also fish in certain sections. Plenty of trails (of various lengths) for hiking. Just about everything is within walking distance.

French Creek State Park - Another great all around park. There is a pool for swimming, fishing in the lake. 18th century iron producing community. Lots of hiking, biking and horseback trails of various lengths. There are stores within a few minutes drive if you need/forgot anything. Not like I know from personal experience.

Ricketts Glenn - This park and I have unfinished business together. 2 years ago we made the drive (~3 hrs) only to have the lifting crank on our camper break. We promptly packed up and went home. From what we saw it was a beautiful park. We plan on going back this year.

World's End - The area is absolutely beautiful. The trails were great, but you had to drive to every trail head, or add on a few more miles to your hike. Swimming is done in the river as it flows into a deep pool. The water, in August, was FREEZING! Not very many sites and they are somewhat cramped. All-in-all a good place.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM  
Should be working

Kinzua near Warren has a lot of great camping sites. Also, look into Two Mile near Franklin.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.