Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 AM  
Junior Member

Wellsboro, PA
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12 | Kudos: +10
Any home theater audio/videophiles here?

I'm interested in knowing what brands and types of televisions people are buying and what kind of home theater setups they have.
Personally I'm still rocking the 36" Sony Trinitron CRT style with an older Kenwood head unit, JBL speakers with a 10" floor sub and an XBOX 360 & PS2,... and DirecTV. Buuuuuutt I'm looking to upgrade. Any suggestions?
Leaning towards the PS3 for the Blu-ray player but then want a high def TV, what's good? What's not?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM  
Junior Member

Chambersburg, PA
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10 | Kudos: +10
It's funny that you should start this thread, when you. More odd still, that you haven't received any replies until mine. For the last two weeks we have had the final DVD from the boxed set of 'All Creatures Great and Small', stuck in the player because the belt (?) broke on the Philips combo DVD/VHS. I didn't know that DVD players had belts but it came out of that side (I know that it doesn't mean that it couldn't have come from the tape drive. Anyhow, this unit was only 3 years old. So, off we go to the mom & pop electronics store at the discount price of $109. We found a one year old Samsung combo player which synthesizes 1080 dpi from non-blue ray discs and sends them to the TV via HDMI cables. But, our six year old Sharp, crt, wouldn't accept the HDMI cable. So, the wife says to me that since I'll be spending so much time in front of the TV (newly disabled and forced into retirement) that we could handle the LG, 35" plasma TV, and enjoy the sharper image of high definition with HDMI trickery! Now, about my 15 year old Harmon-Kardon surround sound system that's on it's final legs. But then, I've cheated the budget a bit far this time.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM  
Junior Member

astoria, oregon
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 26 | Kudos: +10
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsblue View Post
I'm interested in knowing what brands and types of televisions people are buying and what kind of home theater setups they have.
Personally I'm still rocking the 36" Sony Trinitron CRT style with an older Kenwood head unit, JBL speakers with a 10" floor sub and an XBOX 360 & PS2,... and DirecTV. Buuuuuutt I'm looking to upgrade. Any suggestions?
Leaning towards the PS3 for the Blu-ray player but then want a high def TV, what's good? What's not?
I myself have the Panasonic Vierra 46 inch plasma. I am running a Panasonic surround 5.1 dolby digital system for sound and play all my movies through the blur ray player on my PlayStation 3.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM  
Junior Member

astoria, oregon
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 26 | Kudos: +10
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhat View Post
It's funny that you should start this thread, when you. More odd still, that you haven't received any replies until mine. For the last two weeks we have had the final DVD from the boxed set of 'All Creatures Great and Small', stuck in the player because the belt (?) broke on the Philips combo DVD/VHS. I didn't know that DVD players had belts but it came out of that side (I know that it doesn't mean that it couldn't have come from the tape drive. Anyhow, this unit was only 3 years old. So, off we go to the mom & pop electronics store at the discount price of $109. We found a one year old Samsung combo player which synthesizes 1080 dpi from non-blue ray discs and sends them to the TV via HDMI cables. But, our six year old Sharp, crt, wouldn't accept the HDMI cable. So, the wife says to me that since I'll be spending so much time in front of the TV (newly disabled and forced into retirement) that we could handle the LG, 35" plasma TV, and enjoy the sharper image of high definition with HDMI trickery! Now, about my 15 year old Harmon-Kardon surround sound system that's on it's final legs. But then, I've cheated the budget a bit far this time.
I bought my surround system with dvd player built in for roughly 200 and the digital sound is awesome. Backed with the blue ray, even better. You dont have to spend big to get big sound.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:26 AM  
Junior Member

Wellsboro, PA
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12 | Kudos: +10
ironhat- Let me ask you this... did you buy and extended warranty on the new TV? Also, it's a shame that the older surround systems don't have the capability of handling the newer HDMI inputs because I like the reliability of the older receivers better.
doctheroc- does your Panasonic sound system have decent bass? I've seen some of them that have nice sound but not much bass due to the small and underpowered subwoofer. Just curious as to your experience with it.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 PM  
Junior Member

astoria, oregon
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 26 | Kudos: +10
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsblue View Post
ironhat- Let me ask you this... did you buy and extended warranty on the new TV? Also, it's a shame that the older surround systems don't have the capability of handling the newer HDMI inputs because I like the reliability of the older receivers better.
doctheroc- does your Panasonic sound system have decent bass? I've seen some of them that have nice sound but not much bass due to the small and underpowered subwoofer. Just curious as to your experience with it.
I think it has plenty of bass. It will rattle things off the shelf so I keep it turned down.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:14 PM  
facepalm
 
jeepcache's Avatar

Minot, ND
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722 | Kudos: +57
Images: 1
let me know if you want this thread moved to the technology section where it might get a little more attention
__________________
"the path of greatest resistance reaps the greatest rewards"
-me
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 AM  
Junior Member

Wellsboro, PA
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12 | Kudos: +10
Good to know Doc.
Yes, jeepcache.. that might be a good idea. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 PM  
Junior Member

Chambersburg, PA
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10 | Kudos: +10
No, I didn't buy the extended warranty on the new LG TV set. I can't recall the last time I've had an issue with any TV. Now, HT is another issue. I've had the Harmon Kardon on the bench twice and it's getting flaky again (I guess 3x in 15 yrs isn't bad - just annoying).
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 PM  
Junior Member

Scranton, PA
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6 | Kudos: +10
I have a 42" Samsung LCD that we have had for about 5 years now. No problems with it ever. I would not hesitate to get another Samsung.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.