Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 PM  

bfe, PA
i'm getting some cider and apfelwein started now. found a great home brew store near Johnstown. Fine Wines of Windber they have everything

Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 PM  

Perkasie, PA
Bucks County brewer

I live in central Bucks county (north of Doylestown) and have been brewing for about a dozen years (still only 32 years old though). I brew all-grain and have done some ciders as well. My advice to anyone looking to get into homebrewing is to just do it. You can get into it for less than you think, and as you learn and advance, you can brew anything that you can buy. To those who want to brew Strongbow - it's actually quite easy. Google any commercial brand + clone + recipe and you can find tons of options to brew. Or do your own thing and enter a competition to learn feedback on what you did right and wrong and can fix on the next batch.

And if anyone is looking for a brewing buddy or to just come observe the process, shoot me a PM. I'll be brewing again during the holidays sometime and always love company.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM  

I currently have the following in various stages of fermentation/aging/kegged:

10 gallons Mead
5 gallons Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
5 gallons Cider
5 gallons White Peach Wine
Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM  

FYI...for anyone in the poconos or lehigh valley area looking to get into homebrewing, check out Keystone Homebrew in Bethlehem...great shop with some really helpful staff...they have a website, just do a google search.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:38 PM  

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
yeah, I did some of the apfelwein recipe from HomeBrewTalk.com's cider recipe forum. I forget the author, unfortunately so I can't give him credit, but it's just 5 gal pastuerized apple juice, 2 lbs corn sugar, montracet wine yeast. Good stuff!

As for beers my most recent brew was "Hop Mountain" (named after the mountain of hop flowers in the dry hop process.) Had 7 oz. of hops for a 5 gal batch, the boiling hops were 1 oz of Warrior at 16% AA. Amarillo and Celestial for finishing+dry hops. It was great/insane! 160 IBUs.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM  

Carbondale, PA
Home brewer from Scranton Area, been brewing for a little over 6 months now. Still building my brewery, almost finished though, brewed about 10 extract/extract with specialty grains, and going to be brewing my first ag batch in about 2 weeks, once the brewery is finished.
Found some decent home brew shops in the area, best in wilkes berre, but a very strong showing for wine making in scranton.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 AM  

Montgomery, Pa
Any home brewers close to Williamsport, Pa?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM  

Greensburg, PA
Mead

Quote:
Originally Posted by labpaws View Post
Im into beer myself...craftbeers are all i drink. I havent done any wine or mead yet
I have been brewing for a few years and started making wine and mead about 4 years ago. It's pretty good stuff! Check out my blog if you're interested in mead...

Mead Blog
Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM  

Carrington, North Dakota
I have been brewing a little over a year. Mostly extract-grain kits because of the ease. Not many options out here in ND but Midwest Brewing Supplies and a small hobby shop in Bismarck serve our needs.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM  

Erie, Pa
Haven't tried makin beer yet but I just started makin wine. Doesn't seem very difficult so far

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania
Bookmark this Page!