Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2012, 01:41 AM  

Anyone else hate skunks?

I thought I would give everyone a chuckle at my expense. Here it is Saturday night. A nice quiet evening just watching the boob tube. I'm getting a little tired so I decided to let the dogs out to do their business one more time before hitting the sack.

Within about 20 seconds, I hear all hell breaking loose in the backyard. My biggest fear was another coyote had jumped the wall and was devouring my little buddies. I run outside just in time to see a damn skunk running right towards me.

My little vicious dog was right on its tail, but my little timid dog was smart (so I thought!) and was running the other direction. I grabbed my vicious dog, who by now was convulsing, throwing up and was having trouble breathing. I grabbed this dog and ran out into the garage and quickly threw her into the utility sink, where I started washing the incredibly horrible smell off of her. I used tomato juice, baking soda, baby shampoo, another fragrant shampoo, and finally topped it off with Massengil ****** powder.

I took a sigh of relief until I returned into the house where my timid dog was now throwing up, and rolling on the bedspreads, the dog beds, the throw rugs, the sofa pillows, and my new leather couch, trying to get the smell away from her.

I went back into the garage and did the full body shampoo job on the timid dog, and got her smelling just a little less than horrible. I then had to stuff the washer with all the wet towels, bedspreads and pillows.

With that disaster diverted, I could not understand why I smelled so bad until I realized that little SOB must have also sprayed me. I got into the shower and scrubbed and scrubbed, but that smell is still making me sick. Before you ask, I stopped short of douching myself but I really did give it quite a bit of thought!

Now I'm sitting in my family room where the smell of skunk is everywhere and I am exhausted!

I hope you all had a really nice chuckle, because I didn't!

Has this ever happened to you? What do you use to get rid of that smell?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 AM  

Nashville, TN
Soooo.....I take it you got custody of the skunk?

Didn't mean to laugh, but that right there was funny.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 AM  

I never did. I went out later and it is either hiding real good in the bushes for a counter attack at a later time, or ran off to pester another neighborhood dog family.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Time. I've only had to deal with it once and it didn't go away for sometime.

Why does that stuff always happen when it's getting close to bedtime?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM  

Is there ever a good time to be blasted by a skunk?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM  

We raised a skunk once, it wouldn't spray us but would do handstands and wink at us. The neighbor's dog was another story. The skunk wandered off one day and had a skirmish with the dog. My wife bathed the dog and the skunk and had to sleep with her hand in a plastic bag for a couple of nights. We turned the skunk loose in the wild.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 AM  

Nashville, TN
Just in case you may need to do this again.

Removal of Skunk Odor/Removing Odor - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Old 01-17-2012, 07:57 AM  

Thanks ODNT! That solution sounds very plausible. I'm going out today and building a kit, so I'll have everything close by for the next incident.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 PM  
fustrated genius

That don't sound like fun at all.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM  

We later had a deodorized skunk and she made a fun pet. When threatened or just as a playful threat not knowing she was disarmed she would raise the tail and take aim.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!