Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2010, 02:42 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
dog food

what do you guys feed?

i have a 3 yr old 80 lbs lab. he gets nutro large breeed adult. i never have to wash him, his teeth are clean and his coat shines and is realy soft. if i give him anything else he craps every where and sheds really bad. it's crazy how dogs react to dog food.

experiences?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:58 AM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
My "puppy" gets a special food for her hips, and our other dog gets Diamond brand for active dogs (dang thing only stops running to eat and sleep).

Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Our working dog used to get Iams (before it was bought by Purina) now he gets Eukanuba. My puppy we are trying brands on him, He has had Diamond and 4Health, but they both make him have bad gas.

Both of the dogs eat some people food too when they are with us, the older one more than the younger. The most important thing is that is starts with a meat, not meat meal.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM  

ALL dry and canned foods for dogs and cats is processed junk, it's all loaded with chemicals and preservatives, the 'meat' used in ALL dry and canned foods is the garbage slaughterhouse byproducts that even the hot dog makers won't buy such as the noses, genitals, feet, etc.

If any dry or canned food was made with all muscle meat, first quality, human quality it would be so expensive nobody could afford to buy it.

I don't care what the name brand is or what the label says or what the ingredients are ALL dry and canned dog and cat food is highly processed garbage. If it were the real deal it would require refrigeration while in the store and at home.

You COOK for your dogs and cats. It's not as expensive as you might think and you cook a whole bunch and then store in zip bags or containers in the freezer in smaller portions and simply thaw and feed or thaw and heat and feed.

Chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, rice, oatmeal, potatoes, peas, green beans, carrots, white fish, and tons more, you COOK for your dogs and cats.

The rates of all cancers in our dogs and cats is at an all time high and it's in large part due to the processed junk we put in them. Also the rates of diabetes and kidney failure in our dogs and cats is at an all time high despite the overpriced 'premium' processed foods.

Don't pay $75.00 for a 27.5 lb bag of processed junk, put that money into real foods and some human food safe freezer bags or containers and get cooking!

There are hundreds of cookbooks for dogs and cats, many written by veterinarians. Buy a few and get cooking.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 PM  

I agree this could be done, but it is important to understand dogs have other nutritional needs which will need to be added to make a healthy mix for the pooches. As a former police K-9 handler and trainer, and having family with a major dog food manufacturing plant, I highly recommend you consult with a special canine dietician before heading to the kitchen.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 AM  

Tacoma, WA
I feed what is called "prey model" raw meat and bones diet. My Pit/Lab mix loves it and she's beautiful because of it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I agree this could be done, but it is important to understand dogs have other nutritional needs which will need to be added to make a healthy mix for the pooches. As a former police K-9 handler and trainer, and having family with a major dog food manufacturing plant, I highly recommend you consult with a special canine dietician before heading to the kitchen.
THIS!!!

Our working dog (a police k-9, so I know where your at) has to eat dog food because he needs certain things. Every time we are at the vet with him diet is gone over. In all of the magazines devoted to working dogs there is usually at least one article related t0 nutrition. While cooking is great, what you are forgetting is what else they are adding into the dog food which are important for their health.

Even the guys who do the Raw diet with their babies still have to throw in supplements.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM  

Carmel, NY
I feed my puppy (65lb, 10.5 month old lab) Eukanuba large breed puppy.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 PM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
i would reccomend getting him off puppy asap. my vet told me feeding it past about 5 months (especially with labs) can give them hip/joint problems....
Old 12-09-2010, 07:20 PM  

Carmel, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
i would reccomend getting him off puppy asap. my vet told me feeding it past about 5 months (especially with labs) can give them hip/joint problems....

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on this. Most people say 12-18 months for what I am feeding him(which is also what the breeder recommended). The bag of food says for up to 2 years.

I will consult my vet about it and do some research into it, I appreciate the heads up.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads