Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM  
clm

Mississauga, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
As a vet tech you should not be feeding your dogs BEEF. They don't normally eat beef. Chicken, Lamb, pork, fish are all ok to feed.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe: Peanut Butter Puppy Poppers

Homemade Dog Treat Recipes!

Wellness? Dog Dry Recipes

Grain-Free Dog Food, Cat Food, Ferret Food & Dog Treats ? Meat-Based Pet Food ? EVO Pet Products
I fail to see why they shouldn't be fed beef. Mine normally do get fed beef and they do just fine on it. It's a red meat like venison, lamb or bison, so You'll need to give me a reason other than "they normally don't eat beef".

clm

Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Their systems have a harder time breaking down beef over other red meats. Like deer and Lamb.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:02 AM  
clm

Mississauga, Ontario
Quote:
Their systems have a harder time breaking down beef over other red meats. Like deer and Lamb.
I'm sorry, but I find that very hard to believe without seeing some hard evidence to support that. Better tell some of the commercial dog food companies that too, as there are a lot of expensive canned and dry dog foods out there that have it. I've yet to see a raw or homemade food that didn't recommend beef either.

clm
Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 AM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
I always heard the same about pork...I can only see the sharp little bones that sometimes linger being a problem rather than the meat tearing up stomach lining, etc. I wonder what dogs did in the wild before human companions fed them CHEESE and CORN.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 AM  

I've also been involved with all aspects of the K-9 world, and also don't understand the "beef" statement. I do know some dogs do develop allergies to beef and will recommend venison, lamb or chicken as a protein substitute, but beef should be fine for most dogs as their primary source of protein.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I have had a few vets say that to me. They can eat it but other forms of meat are healthier for them.

I have also had vets say raw food diets are the worst thing you can feed your pets. On that little tidbit I agree and disagree. Let me explain my view of raw food diets.

Dogs can get E coli and salmonella just as you or I can. It is how ever how they would eat in the wild. A wild dogs food is not processed at a factory ours is. Raw food diets are as close to feed your dogs and cats the way they would eat in the wild. I think if you take care and do your homework a raw food diet will be great for any dog or cat.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM  
clm

Mississauga, Ontario
I know of more allergies to chicken and corn than anything else. I've never tried raw diets for the dogs. I have given them the odd raw tidbit, but the whole raw feeding thing is just too messy for my liking, ha, ha. Some people swear by it, but you have to feed what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with. Of course it has to be something your dogs love, grow and thrive on as well.
I'm glad that whole pet food scare thing a few years back really got me looking at the ingredients in dog and cat foods. It was a real eye opener and made me question where some of those ingredients came from. I have no issues with non food items that come from China, but food ingredients I do not trust from those sources and a number of the ingredients in commercial prepared foods come from there (including those for humans).
Makes you go back to basics cooking wise, time consuming, but I like spending my weekends making up batches of our food and the pets food, ha, ha.
clm
Old 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I have known a few people that feed their god exactly what they ate.

If the humans were having steak baked potatoes and green beans then that is what the dogs ate at dinner time.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM  

I have a 2 yr old Black lab. Same problem with other dog food. Narrowed it down to wheat. I switched to Nutro too(no wheat large breed). Not processed, no by products, higher protein rating and no Wheat.

Expensive, but worth the money. My dog is healthy, energetic, has a shiny coat and is very lean and muscler.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM  
Wicked Awesome Dude

Quote:
I have had a few vets say that to me. They can eat it but other forms of meat are healthier for them.

I have also had vets say raw food diets are the worst thing you can feed your pets. On that little tidbit I agree and disagree. Let me explain my view of raw food diets.

Dogs can get E coli and salmonella just as you or I can. It is how ever how they would eat in the wild. A wild dogs food is not processed at a factory ours is. Raw food diets are as close to feed your dogs and cats the way they would eat in the wild. I think if you take care and do your homework a raw food diet will be great for any dog or cat.
Many of these posts are referring to what dogs would eat in the wild. Odds are good the dog YOU have was NEVER in the wild. Chances are also good you'd have to go pretty far back in your dog's ancestry to find a relative in the "wild". So I really don't see that as a valid arguement at all. People used to eat raw meat in the wild too, where's the relevance? Feed your dogs what domestic pet dogs should eat. Talk to your vet and buy quality dog food or cook for your dog if you like, just do your best to give them the proper nutrition for a healthy DOMESTICATED dog.

I feed my dogs Nutro. My 9 year old Beagle mutt can't eat anything else (he will throw it up). My 2 year old ridgebacks love it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.