Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsocc View Post
A few hours later we picked him up and his 'tude changed. Tail tucked, head low, "omg don't ever leave me again. you have no idea what they've done to me."
Reverse roles and I can see his point. I'm confused about neutering. A gray cat appeared here hungry the other day so I fed it and gave him some petting. A neighbor said it was a female but later my Alpha male feral and gray cat had a tussle. My feral loves girls and gray cat has no nuts showing so I guess we assumed it was a girl.
I got a vasectomy at 26 and thought "clip clip" was much the same for male cats and dogs. Do some vets remove testicles too?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Reverse roles and I can see his point. I'm confused about neutering. A gray cat appeared here hungry the other day so I fed it and gave him some petting. A neighbor said it was a female but later my Alpha male feral and gray cat had a tussle. My feral loves girls and gray cat has no nuts showing so I guess we assumed it was a girl.
I got a vasectomy at 26 and thought "clip clip" was much the same for male cats and dogs. Do some vets remove testicles too?
all of them do. my options for my dog when I lived in atlanta were basically castration or laser vasectomy (600$ at the time). Sorry dog. It was either no testes or no food.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
"or laser vasectomy (600$ at the time)"

Nice to know that exists. I have several we should get fixed and a local Friends of Felines supposedly helps.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Neutering is the best thing you can do for a cat or dog. I am a firm believer in neutering anything with 4 legs that isn't show quality. There are more pet quality in each litter from show dogs and cats vs show quality.

My dog was spayed as soon as we could get her in. She never knew the difference. If a male dog is neutered young they will never know the difference and no it doesn't affect bone growth or anything like that. It will help to extend life spans and reduce the chance of cancer in both cats and dogs.

If you think it is wrong go work at a kill shelter for a month and then tell me it is wrong. I was a vet tech in the Army for 3 years in that three years I put down more cats and dogs than I care to share Many were loving sweet animals that just needed a good loving home. In fact I rescued every single one of my current pets 4 cats and a dog. Hell I even rescued my kids from their idiot mother.

Don't back yard breed adopt a pet and save a life. Adopt a pet and save one from PETA. they put down more animals each year than any other single organization out there. So much for ethical treatment. Feral cats are hell on the local environment they kill song birds like crazy and feeding them only makes things worse.

I have not been in the field in a few years but I have never heard of leaving the testicles when neutering dogs or cats. We always took everything when we did a male neuter.

just for information you can neuter both a male and female animal but you can only spay a female.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM  

Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
Neutering is the best thing you can do for a cat or dog. I am a firm believer in neutering anything with 4 legs that isn't show quality. There are more pet quality in each litter from show dogs and cats vs show quality.

My dog was spayed as soon as we could get her in. She never knew the difference. If a male dog is neutered young they will never know the difference and no it doesn't affect bone growth or anything like that. It will help to extend life spans and reduce the chance of cancer in both cats and dogs.

If you think it is wrong go work at a kill shelter for a month and then tell me it is wrong. I was a vet tech in the Army for 3 years in that three years I put down more cats and dogs than I care to share Many were loving sweet animals that just needed a good loving home. In fact I rescued every single one of my current pets 4 cats and a dog. Hell I even rescued my kids from their idiot mother.

Don't back yard breed adopt a pet and save a life. Adopt a pet and save one from PETA. they put down more animals each year than any other single organization out there. So much for ethical treatment. Feral cats are hell on the local environment they kill song birds like crazy and feeding them only makes things worse.

I have not been in the field in a few years but I have never heard of leaving the testicles when neutering dogs or cats. We always took everything when we did a male neuter.

just for information you can neuter both a male and female animal but you can only spay a female.
nor leaving an empty sac. When my male dog was neutered at a few years old, I was shocked to see that bag still there. My adopted Cairn Terrier had his removed asap upon finding him at few months of age. I've no idea if age made the difference or if it was Vet preference. I did go to a different Vet and asked about that before the surgery for terrier. I am concerned about cancer now in my older dog. I believe if the testes go, the entire area should be "cleaned". The bag seems to "itch" causing me & my male dog concern. My current Vet says it may be possible and said use OTC ointments as needed if redness occurs.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:00 PM  
fustrated genius

You know, I haven't noticed Opie acting any different at all. Now that it's been a while, he is acting pretty much the same. I have a couple of females here that we had spayed too, it's just too messy when they go in season. Any body who thinks this is not needed, alls it takes is ONE "oops,how'd they get together?!?" to make you wish you'ld had.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 PM  

Dallas, TX
The first serious bout with cancer will tell ya you wished you'd done this too.

Spay/neuter extends their life in many ways ... besides avoiding litters. It makes for a much healthier pet, lower vet bills, and a lot more. They are more content to stay home and be happy with you.... I bought my AKC male as a companion and wouldn't trade him off for anything in the world. He's my bestest buddy. He's almost 11 now and those little tumors that are common to his breed are just that, little tumors, but they frightened me and him, a lot.

I didn't go looking for a AKC but it was one of those "love at first sight" things. He was the real doggy in the window and I couldn't leave the store without him.
My dog gets neutered today.-brussels_griffon_wallpaper.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.