Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 PM  

Riverside, CA
Recommend Me A Dog!!

Ok, I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Lab? mix. I want to find a playmate for her, but she is too rowdy with puppies, so it will need to be an older dog (say 1-2 years). Recommend me a breed of dog with an easy temperament that I can still train that will be a "big dog," but I don't want HUGE though...

Member: Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement
Old 12-17-2010, 01:53 AM  

shelters are filled with big dogs
your dog should be spayed if not get it done
then find a castrated adult male lab there are zillions in shelters
don't adopt until you can find out if they are ok with each other
any shelter not permitting you to do so in their shelter with them present and in charge walk out and go elsewhere
generally with two dogs in the household a male and female get along better than two males or two females, there are of course exceptions but this is the general rule

Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 AM  

Riverside, CA
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. My dog was bought at a shelter, so I was thinking of doing it again. I do believe they have a "viewing area" where you can take your kids and/or dogs to meet the new one. That's a great idea.

I was also thinking lab as well. But I had my eyes pealed for a Border Collie. Although, I think finding one at a shelter is going to be tough.

Member: Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacree Movement
Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Try Cold Wet Noses or similar organization in your area. My wife was set on rescuing a few dogs before we got our new puppy. CWN sent a rep to our house with one of the dogs and our dogs had a great time meeting her. These organizations save animals from euthanasia and put them into loving foster homes until they can be adopted permanently.

Try searching Google.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:50 PM  

Carmel, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
I was also thinking lab as well.
I have no experience with other breeds but I can certainly tell you Labs are great dogs. They seem to get along with everyone and are highly trainable(if you have patience!)
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
If you want something that will play "rough" and keep up with her, sounds like you want a higher drive dog.

Most shelters will let you play with the dog before you adopt it. If they have toys, see how attracted they are to the toy. If they stay with it, keep after it, what their drive for it is. That will help you know if it will be keep going or if it will just lay and do nothing.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
If you want something that will play "rough" and keep up with her, sounds like you want a higher drive dog.

Most shelters will let you play with the dog before you adopt it. If they have toys, see how attracted they are to the toy. If they stay with it, keep after it, what their drive for it is. That will help you know if it will be keep going or if it will just lay and do nothing.
There are exceptions to that rule. We picked up a hound shepherd mix that was abused(neglected) and not the type of dog recommended to adopt. Rocky came out of his shell and is a wonderful addition to our family. I think it helped we had a shepherd/chow that was very outgoing and smart for him to play with.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:29 PM  

All I could add is if you haven't selected a dog yet, I recommend you to go to your local animal shelter and take one of those beauties home. Our last 4 dogs were all from the shelter, and for the life of me, I just can't understand how they ended up there. They have all had such great personalities, and never regretted going there for my family's additions.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
Ok, I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Lab? mix. I want to find a playmate for her, but she is too rowdy with puppies, so it will need to be an older dog (say 1-2 years). Recommend me a breed of dog with an easy temperament that I can still train that will be a "big dog," but I don't want HUGE though...
If you happen to be lucky enough, and can find an Airdale Terrier, you'll have a great dog......we had one while my children were very young and this dog was their playmate and protector......wouldn't let another dog come around and always stayed between them and danger......this dog's dad was either a Chesapeake Bay Retriever or German Shephard.....the owner, where we purchased him, wasn't sure.

Airedale Terrier Dog Breed - Airedale Terrier Profile
Recommend Me A Dog!!-king-airdale-copy.jpg 

Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 PM  

California
I have a 9 month old lab who is from champion lines but cannot be shown as he has a common joint disease that makes him a poor candidate for breeding. But he is a sweetheart and would make someone a great companion...especially another big-breed dog!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!