Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
We would refer to those dogs as "Melon Heads." You could cut off one of their legs and they would still attack as if they didn't feel it. Very awsome creatures, but a little too hot blooded for my temperment.
No, Jax is a 75lb puppy who likes to cuddle, I have no idea what your talking about. But yeah, I know what you mean, they flip like a switch. Mali's go until they are dead, literally. They go through the window instead of going through the open door sometimes. He kills me with the loft.

I love the shepards we train with, both German and Dutch, but Jax is just something, maybe I am bias because he is mine.

Quote:
Yes, I trained several of them for attack and narcotic detection. They bite hard!
Narc, attack, patrol, and tracking. Oh the fun times. Yes, they do bite hard, when people are bruised through the suit and have a hard time walking, it is a very hard bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I think it was on "60 Minutes" I saw those dogs work airports & boder crossings. I was impressed they can still detect grass hidden within a series of bags and plastic/tin containers.

In one case the dog attacked a tire. The cops discovered all 4 tires filled with weed.
Certain dogs (more training) can find it buried underground in a plastic bag. But remember, they have to be able to find it where people hide it.

Airports also tend to use labs as well.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM  

For narcotic detection, all you need is a dog with a high play drive and a handler with lots of commitment.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
For narcotic detection, all you need is a dog with a high play drive and a handler with lots of commitment.
It takes more than that. But those are the two main building blocks. You also can't really have just any breed of dog, you want one with a nose.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:44 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
One of my new neighbors trains k9's. I was out on a walk and saw their setup, they had a junk pile, I assume it was for training and just not trash.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Pets / Animals
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.